Achilles tang white discoloration

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have this achilles tang with what I can describe as blotches of white discoloration over his body. Not sure if they are just stress marks. Definitely not ick or velvet. Looks like large white discoloration that some fish get when stressed. The achilles tang was added along with 10 other tangs 3 days ago. Everyone is doing well and eating. The purple tang is bullying the achilles a bit but nothing crazy. Just shows of dominance and the achilles backs off. The purple and achilles are similar size at 6 inches. The achilles still eats enthusiastically. Do you think he is just settling in? I have attached some images. The whiteness on the stomach is natural. The rest of the white discoloration is what I'm talking about. Was very hard to get a good image. Tank is 8x2x2.

20230211_125639.jpg 20230211_125726.jpg 20230211_125608.jpg 20230210_184055.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have this achilles tang with what I can describe as blotches of white discoloration over his body. Not sure if they are just stress marks. Definitely not ick or velvet. Looks like large white discoloration that some fish get when stressed. The achilles tang was added along with 10 other tangs 3 days ago. Everyone is doing well and eating. The purple tang is bullying the achilles a bit but nothing crazy. Just shows of dominance and the achilles backs off. The purple and achilles are similar size at 6 inches. The achilles still eats enthusiastically. Do you think he is just settling in? I have attached some images. The whiteness on the stomach is natural. The rest of the white discoloration is what I'm talking about. Was very hard to get a good image. Tank is 8x2x2.

20230211_125639.jpg 20230211_125726.jpg 20230211_125608.jpg 20230210_184055.jpg
Pics are a little dark- can you retake under white lighting?

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics are a little dark- can you retake under white lighting?
Yes will try to retake later today. Here's an image I found online that has a spot like mine. Except mine has about 5 of these on one side of his body and another 3 on the other side. They weren't present yesterday.

Attachments

• acanthurus-achilles-d719742ccd1f486d975f8187ac2bd538.jpg
    acanthurus-achilles-d719742ccd1f486d975f8187ac2bd538.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 58

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes will try to retake later today. Here's an image I found online that has a spot like mine. Except mine has about 5 of these on one side of his body and another 3 on the other side. They weren't present yesterday.
This is a thumb print effect and may be bacterial but Ive seen this as Redon yellow tanks and brown on chocolate tangs and often corrects with good diet high in fat and aminos. Im glad to see this and not velvet which they often contract,
Right now- Try focusing on Good water quality as well as diet consisting of several (you dont need all these although I feed more than these) foods such as:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Is this fish new? If so, where did you get it ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Here is an actual video. All fish were added 3 days ago.
Thank you for video. This appears to be a bacterial issue and fish should be placed in a quarantine tank and treated with seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex for at least 5 days. Additionally maintain water quality with a Reliable test kit and add oxygen with an air stone.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely excess mucus. There may or may not be a bacterial component to this, you won't be able to tell just by looking. It could be a result of fighting with another tang, or bruising from capture/transport/acclimation. Achilles don't take well to handling/physical abrasion.

What is the history of the 11 tangs? Were they quarantined together? What species are they, I see a Naso, purples and an hepatus. I guess what I'm driving at is the Achilles are so prone to marine ich that if the quarantine was not spot-on I would be surprised if these fish did NOT come down with ich....

Jay

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely excess mucus. There may or may not be a bacterial component to this, you won't be able to tell just by looking. It could be a result of fighting with another tang, or bruising from capture/transport/acclimation. Achilles don't take well to handling/physical abrasion.

What is the history of the 11 tangs? Were they quarantined together? What species are they, I see a Naso, purples and an hepatus. I guess what I'm driving at is the Achilles are so prone to marine ich that if the quarantine was not spot-on I would be surprised if these fish did NOT come down with ich....

Jay
Hi these were all purchased through dr reef and purchased quarantined. They were added to this new tank that was fishless cycled for 2 months. Ammonia and nitrite are showing 0 and little bit of nitrate. I think water quality is very good. I have a uv sterilizer, macro algae refugium with extra large skimmer. He does seem to be getting bullied a bit. I have the following:

3 blue tangs
1 powder blue
1 naso
1 purple tang
1 gem tang
1 kole tang
1 sohal
1 Achilles
1 sailfin desjardini

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also thank you both so much for the feedback. @vetteguy53081 I just went out and bought most of the foods you said. I will be feeding very heavy to keep them strong enough to fight anything they might have.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also thank you both so much for the feedback. @vetteguy53081 I just went out and bought most of the foods you said. I will be feeding very heavy to keep them strong enough to fight anything they might have.
Dont feed heavy risking fouling the tank water. These foods have the fats and aminos needed for overall health

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are we thinking is going on here? I should add all fish seem jittery. They will eat no problem but they act terrified of me. All fish are nice and chunky. The achilles now has some white mucus on his fins near the edge of his fins. His breathing rate is about 80-100 per minute. Thats how quickly his gill flaps. No behavioral changes from day 1. He was always hidden. Naso tang is breathing the fastest at 140 per minute. Not sure what's normal, but hope that info helps. Also I'm not really ready to take any fish out of the display tank. I have quarantine tanks ready, but behaviorally all fish seem normal albeit skittish.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are we thinking is going on here? I should add all fish seem jittery. They will eat no problem but they act terrified of me. All fish are nice and chunky. The achilles now has some white mucus on his fins near the edge of his fins. His breathing rate is about 80-100 per minute. Thats how quickly his gill flaps. No behavioral changes from day 1. He was always hidden. Naso tang is breathing the fastest at 140 per minute. Not sure what's normal, but hope that info helps. Also I'm not really ready to take any fish out of the display tank. I have quarantine tanks ready, but behaviorally all fish seem normal albeit skittish.
There isn’t anything you can do in the exhibit except treat for flukes with prazipro. Everything else would require you pull the fish for treatment.
I think you should wait until tomorrow to see how things develop, and prepare to move one way or the other.
Jay

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There isn’t anything you can do in the exhibit except treat for flukes with prazipro. Everything else would require you pull the fish for treatment.
I think you should wait until tomorrow to see how things develop, and prepare to move one way or the other.
Jay
He seems to be doing better today. Less mucus and swimming around more confidently.

OP
OP
payrawsa

payrawsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jay
My first achilles are they all weirdos like this? @4FordFamily

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is the Achilles doing now? I've had mine for a year now and they are a expert fish for a reason, they are very easily stressed out fish. I have ich in my tank and the achilles never showed signs of ich after the initial outbreak of having 100s of spot. I feared i lost a price fish and went all in on diet, UV and minimizing stress by never adding a fish again. The fish is a crown jewel and happy mine is thriving. Anyone that says this fish needs a ich free tank is just lieing, they need to build a immune system. Mine did have some white stuff on its gill (not ich) last year and it went away in a month.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back