Achilles tang with velvet

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have a Achilles tang with what looks to be velvet it started off as Ich in the tank every fish had it about a month now , right now every fish managed to be cured of it (showing no signs of dots) or anything all eating well. Except for the famous ACHILLES:-/ which seems to go form Ich big white dots to velvet very small dots fish looks dang terrible it’s everywhere on him.
I have I’m in coppersafe at 2ppm for two days doesn’t seem to be working he is eating very well btw 2x a day.

I have Formalin 37%

I also have a powder form of CP

how should I dose these stuff I was reading other forums and ppl seem to be all over the place so I’m a bit confused please help me thanks

Fish is about 3.5 inches

Qt is a 10 gallon sterile no live rocks had running for about 4 months cycled and everything unfortunately that is all I can have atm

he has a lot of hiding spaces and don’t seem to be bothered

E2FD5232-1E29-48FA-95DC-D1ADD87AE44D.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a video to assess ich or velvet? Velvet causes very fast breathing, which is the best way to diagnose it.
Were all fish moved into qt and treated (with the tank being left to fallow)? Was the tank directly treated? Many parasites can survive a time without a fish host and come back if not given enough time to be starved out.
It takes a few days for copper to work, so don’t be alarmed that the spots haven’t gone away yet. Try getting it to 2.5 ppm and hold it for 30 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the tang has an advanced case of ich, not velvet. Velvet causes rapid breathing and fish go off their food pretty quickly. With ich, the fish still feed and breath normally, up until near the end.

Coppersafe needs to be dosed at 2.5ppm What test are you using? It also takes up to three days at full dose before you will see much improvement.

Jay

OP
OP
Randy’s reef

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say the tang has an advanced case of ich, not velvet. Velvet causes rapid breathing and fish go off their food pretty quickly. With ich, the fish still feed and breath normally, up until near the end.

Coppersafe needs to be dosed at 2.5ppm What test are you using? It also takes up to three days at full dose before you will see much improvement.

Jay
So no formalin dip? Or I still can dip him in it for 45 min then put back in copper? Without cp

OP
OP
Randy’s reef

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I use Hanna copper

OP
OP
Randy’s reef

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a video to assess ich or velvet? Velvet causes very fast breathing, which is the best way to diagnose it.
Were all fish moved into qt and treated (with the tank being left to fallow)? Was the tank directly treated? Many parasites can survive a time without a fish host and come back if not given enough time to be starved out.
It takes a few days for copper to work, so don’t be alarmed that the spots haven’t gone away yet. Try getting it to 2.5 ppm and hold it for 30 days.
Thanks

OP
OP
Randy’s reef

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang fish won’t stay still

OP
OP
Randy’s reef

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No everything g was in display ate well and all Ich went away , except for this dude

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO - in line with the others - it would be 'odd' for multiple fish to have ICH - and one to get velvet - i.e. velvet is usually more pathogenic than ICH - as above its likely ICH - and I would treat all of your fish according to protocol - (which would also take care of velvet) - and then leave the tank fallow the the prescribed period (depending on which protocol you're following).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No everything g was in display ate well and all Ich went away , except for this dude
Agree - Looks like marine ich- Cryptocaryon. As jay Mentioned Coppersafe or Copper Power best at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank may have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

OP
OP
Randy’s reef

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree - Looks like marine ich- Cryptocaryon. As jay Mentioned Coppersafe or Copper Power best at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank may have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Thanks so don’t do a formlyn dip correct? Or it can help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of the most important things we receive is follow-up - so good luck - and please let us know what happens!!!

OP
OP
Randy’s reef

Randy’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little mix up I’m sorry , I’m actually using copper safe not power that’s why I kept at 2ppm

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back