ACI Kalkwasser Method.... I've watched this video and read a few articles, still not sure the exact method.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot answer the first part of the question as I don't have a DOS

However, I would definitely have a Fallback OFF set for any dosing pump connected to my tank, especially one with a large volume of alkaline solution that can overflow your tank or send the pH through the roof.

As for the ACI's method, I wouldn't do it personally. Kalkwasser dosed at night works really well and if you want to be hardcore about "maximum growth," sodium hydroxide does the trick.
I've been dosing Kalk for probably over 8 months now and have been manipulating the pH for about 6 months now using an ERV, C02 scrubber, refugium, etc. It's easier than I thought and I was recently actually having high pH problems (verified with two different calibrated pH meters). Hence moving to the ATI method to tighten the range and lower the pH.

I've been doing ATI's method for about a month now, but using a Ecotech Versa instead. The ATI system actually works great, but the Neptune's DOS seems like a better. I have my pH at an average of 8.33 now. with a range of 8.28 and 8.38. I may bring it down just a tick more.

I did put a "Fallback Off" on the power outlet for the doser as a precaution. Since this is pH based, I don't want it running wild if the Apex can't take an actual pH reading.

As far as the doser head itself, I put the following code in. I've got a few good failsafe's in there, plus the FallBack Off on the doser's outlet.

If FeedD 000 Then OFF This is my maintenance mode
If SP_LVL > 8.0 Then OFF Prevent overfills in the sump
If Time 09:00 to 18:00 Then OFF Put this in for grins, there would typically never be a need to dose Kalk during these times
Defer 002:00 Then ON Just in case the probe is fluctuating a bit, I don't want the doser to be going on and off instantly
If pH > 8.29 Then OFF Targeting an average of 8.3 so this makes sense

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been dosing Kalk for probably over 8 months now and have been manipulating the pH for about 6 months now using an ERV, C02 scrubber, refugium, etc. It's easier than I thought and I was recently actually having high pH problems (verified with two different calibrated pH meters). Hence moving to the ATI method to tighten the range and lower the pH.

I've been doing ATI's method for about a month now, but using a Ecotech Versa instead. The ATI system actually works great, but the Neptune's DOS seems like a better. I have my pH at an average of 8.33 now. with a range of 8.28 and 8.38. I may bring it down just a tick more.

I did put a "Fallback Off" on the power outlet for the doser as a precaution. Since this is pH based, I don't want it running wild if the Apex can't take an actual pH reading.

As far as the doser head itself, I put the following code in. I've got a few good failsafe's in there, plus the FallBack Off on the doser's outlet.

If FeedD 000 Then OFF This is my maintenance mode
If SP_LVL > 8.0 Then OFF Prevent overfills in the sump
If Time 09:00 to 18:00 Then OFF Put this in for grins, there would typically never be a need to dose Kalk during these times
Defer 002:00 Then ON Just in case the probe is fluctuating a bit, I don't want the doser to be going on and off instantly
If pH > 8.29 Then OFF Targeting an average of 8.3 so this makes sense
Just out of curiosity, what problems were you noticing from high pH? I've seen a lot of people mention pH going 8.5-8.6 and a few higher and no one has reported any problems. My own tank ranges from 8.3-8.5 (sometimes lower, sometimes higher) using Kalk, Sodium Hydroxide and an ERV alone and I haven't seen any ill effects that I attribute to the higher pH.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, what problems were you noticing from high pH? I've seen a lot of people mention pH going 8.5-8.6 and a few higher and no one has reported any problems. My own tank ranges from 8.3-8.5 (sometimes lower, sometimes higher) using Kalk, Sodium Hydroxide and an ERV alone and I haven't seen any ill effects that I attribute to the higher pH.

My tank is exclusively SPS.

As I started pushing the upper limits of pH (>8.6), the corals became a lot more brittle and some of them started fading with the colors become really muted.

Since bringing the pH down to more reasonable levels, the colors are coming back. I haven't seen the corals become less fragile yet, but probably too soon to evaluate that.

I'm still struggling with the pH bumping up higher that I want on weekends when no one is in the office. My ERV, while it works pretty good, isn't able to get the office under 600ppm during the weekdays when it's occupied, and it routinely gets down to 425-450ppm on the weekends. Which results in the weekends being a tenth or so higher than the weekends. At least now I'm typically under 8.5 on Sat and Sun, versus previously when the pH would easily go in to the low 8.6's.

I was contemplating making by "base" pH 8.25 to keep it in the low 8.4's on the weekends. However, my peaks during the week would drop as well. Really wish I could have a steady state C02 level but can't seem to figure that out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back