Acro color has been bothering me. Suggestions?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that has been bothering me maybe you guys know the answer. 2 of my favorite acros (pc rainbow and red planet) have faded from their original colors and turned basically white. However they are growing like absolute weeds and have their polyps extended.
My parameters are in range of what they should be
Alk 9.0
Calcium 420
Nitrate 2
Phos .01
Temp 78f
Salinity 1.026
Par 300-340

Picture attached is my red planet. It use to be bright pink with green highlights. Now its a faint pink and white

Screenshot_20201018-225710_Gallery.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, just looking at your numbers, it is your low nutrients. I would try bring up your nitrates to around 5 and slightly increase your phosphates and see if that makes a difference. Everything else looks fine. Is that where you have always kept your NO3 and phosphate levels? How long were the acros in your tank before they started losing color?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long is your photo period at max intensity?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.) Low nitrates are not your problem, and many on this forum think that nitrate needs to be measurable and that the level is important to corals and an indication of available N. However, that's not the case and most coral will readily use other forms of N before using NO3. The regular push on this forum for people to maintain a certain NO3 level is generally misguided

2.) If that PO4 level is from a checker then that is your most obvious problem.

3.) I'd suggest more fish and more high protein foods along with a ramped up CuC to take care of the algae that will start to grow. Don't chase these numbers with liquid additions as it's too easy to screw things up and bottom out N or P when doing so since dosing them has a reactive effect on one another

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess, just looking at your numbers, it is your low nutrients. I would try bring up your nitrates to around 5 and slightly increase your phosphates and see if that makes a difference. Everything else looks fine. Is that where you have always kept your NO3 and phosphate levels? How long were the acros in your tank before they started losing color?
They have been in the tank for about 10 months now and my nutrients have always been like that. The acros lost their color like 4 months ago but have doubled in size within that 4 months. I'm not worried about death because they are growing like crazy just the color bugs me. I removed my skimmer the other day so ill see if raising my nitrates and phos helps me out

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I'm convinced its nitrates. I just double and tripple checked my nitrates and they are bottomed out at 0. I will no longer be using my skimmer and I'm going to increase my usage of coral feast. I had to remove all fish yesterday due to a velvet outbreak from a "prequarentined" fish.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen with red and some pink/purple Acros; when the water is too clean they start to pale out, even if they are growing well and consuming Alk/Ca.

I would just feed more. And feed often once you get your fish back into the tank after treatment. They will bounce back and color back up.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen with red and some pink/purple Acros; when the water is too clean they start to pale out, even if they are growing well and consuming Alk/Ca.

I would just feed more. And feed often once you get your fish back into the tank after treatment. They will bounce back and color back up.
Would this be considered bleaching? Or is it a lack of coloration since they are healthy

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I'm convinced its nitrates. I just double and tripple checked my nitrates and they are bottomed out at 0. I will no longer be using my skimmer and I'm going to increase my usage of coral feast. I had to remove all fish yesterday due to a velvet outbreak from a "prequarentined" fish.

Nitrates isn't the problem...

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this be considered bleaching? Or is it a lack of coloration since they are healthy

It's not technically bleaching as we relate it to acropora. Bleached typically means lacking pigment and is usually associated with a stressful event. You're just lacking color

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, and it will also lead to algae blooms, and it will take some time (weeks or months) for corals to recover even after the problem is addressed. The tank will adjust and the algae blooms will subside and you'll need to adjust CuC, but you will have a healthier environment in the end.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, and it will also lead to algae blooms, and it will take some time (weeks or months) for corals to recover even after the problem is addressed. The tank will adjust and the algae blooms will subside and you'll need to adjust CuC, but you will have a healthier environment in the end.
So algae starts being an issue dont panic and let things hit equilibrium? Up my cuc as needed?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back