Acro Crab , Need ID please!

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
I got this frag that came with the crab. The crab was already on the coral in LFS and frag looked great so I figured it’s reef safe.

But in couple of days part of went from this:
6C2119C9-127B-4418-A7B4-F57413B54209.jpeg

To this:
0ACC5789-7C96-43E3-925B-0E453766F7B9.jpeg

If you look at the circled part it’s clear that something is eating the polyps.
Do you think that coral can recover from this or should I cut off that branch?

here are some more pictures of the crab, hopefully someone can tell me if the crab is bad or is there something else eating my coral:
B2410A9F-CD00-4BC9-A22A-6D8BC37B9329.jpeg

0A3FA5F9-F85E-4249-A62F-27107560F7C3.jpeg

652081B5-2A37-4292-9D96-428A5CF758BA.jpeg

For now I removed him from the coral and placed him in a breeder box. If identified as bad I’ll chuck him into the sea.

thank you in advance

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a coral expert, but the crab appears to be a gorilla crab (Xanthidae sp.). These are not reef safe, though one might make for a unique addition to an empty part of a sump if you have one. Please do not introduce any aquarium organisms into the wild, even if they are native species, as they might have picked up nonnative pathogens in captivity.
1658790016407.png

1658790282122.png

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a furry coral crab (Cymo melanodactylus) I would consider them good for the most part.
Check this out it might help:
Edit: there are always risks involved with coral crabs imo the cymo melanodactylus doesn’t grow as large as the other species in the family Xanthidae and tends to rarely pick on fish if never in my experience. If it was in my tank I would remove it or rehome it if that was an option, avoiding any risks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a furry coral crab (Cymo melanodactylus) I would consider them good for the most part.
Check this out it might help:
Edit: there are always risks involved with coral crabs imo the cymo melanodactylus doesn’t grow as large as the other species in the family Xanthidae and tends to rarely pick on fish if never in my experience. If it was in my tank I would remove it or rehome it if that was an option, avoiding any risks.
Thanks for the answer,
I think you are right,
I was reading this yesterday:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/crab-eating-acropora.158139/
And that seems to be it. From what I read people seem to like them in large colonies as they nip on a coral here and there.

I think that’s my issue , that the frag is just too small so the tiny amount of polyp eating is causing is killing my frag . Also the person where I got the coral from (coral growing expert) saw him but didn’t mark him as bad.

do you think there could be some other reason my acro lost its polyps or is it definitely the crab ? Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a coral expert, but the crab appears to be a gorilla crab (Xanthidae sp.). These are not reef safe, though one might make for a unique addition to an empty part of a sump if you have one. Please do not introduce any aquarium organisms into the wild, even if they are native species, as they might have picked up nonnative pathogens in captivity.
1658790016407.png

1658790282122.png
Thank you, it was my first thought too but the gorilla crab doesn’t match.
the head and claw shape are a bit different. Seems to be furry coral crab like the other comment suggested

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answer,
I think you are right,
I was reading this yesterday:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/crab-eating-acropora.158139/
And that seems to be it. From what I read people seem to like them in large colonies as they nip on a coral here and there.

I think that’s my issue , that the frag is just too small so the tiny amount of polyp eating is causing is killing my frag . Also the person where I got the coral from (coral growing expert) saw him but didn’t mark him as bad.

do you think there could be some other reason my acro lost its polyps or is it definitely the crab ? Thanks
I can still see polyps here and there, however it is most likely that the crab is picking on the polyps and irritating it.
is this the original Color of this acro? It looks a bit browned out.

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can still see polyps here and there, however it is most likely that the crab is picking on the polyps and irritating it.
is this the original Color of this acro? It looks a bit browned out.
It's still new, got it last week, and it got a bit agitated in transport since above it there was a hammer floating stuck to the styrofoam, but got free and probably hurt it a bit.

But what I am referring to is this circled part I showed above, clearly it looks like it was eaten

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of that crab if you haven't already. I wouldn't go trimming the coral just yet, if you tank is stable and the parameters are right it will heal quick. If you notice algae growth on the damaged spots then I would give it a trim. I have multiple maricultured colonies and almost all of them came with one or more acro crabs and the occasional gorilla. Just pull em as soon as you see a hard crab and kill it!

Gorilla crab from my colonies
IMG_20220705_200143_231.jpg

Acro crabs that live in almost all my larger colonies. I have yet to see a brown one they tend to be orange, orange and white or black and white with very smooth exterior almost like porcelain.
IMG_20211220_161305_388.jpg

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of that crab if you haven't already. I wouldn't go trimming the coral just yet, if you tank is stable and the parameters are right it will heal quick. If you notice algae growth on the damaged spots then I would give it a trim. I have multiple maricultured colonies and almost all of them came with one or more acro crabs and the occasional gorilla. Just pull em as soon as you see a hard crab and kill it!

Gorilla crab from my colonies
IMG_20220705_200143_231.jpg

Acro crabs that live in almost all my larger colonies. I have yet to see a brown one they tend to be orange, orange and white or black and white with very smooth exterior almost like porcelain.
IMG_20211220_161305_388.jpg
Thanks,
I think it is a higher chance that it's that furry coral crab, but I returned him to the LFS yesterday ( and ended up getting more Acropora :grinning-face-with-sweat: ) . It seems like very soon when these colonies grow I'll have to get a bigger tank :)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back