Acro Guys - ATI T5 or G4 Radions? Show me your tanks!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMG_20171105_145110.jpg
Screenshot_2017-08-10-19-19-06.png
Screenshot_2017-03-17-15-19-41.png
The answer is T5s for me! Atleast 2 14k and under bulbs. Cant go wrong with a little led for viewing.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for chiming in! I've seen your task's progress through the years! Glad you could provide your opinion regarding lights!
Thank You! I just can't seem to give them up, nor MHs. I'm sure in the future they'll be an addition of radions on my tanks.

tgionet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm adoring the new 4 bulb aquaticlife fixture with my AP700. The only thing I think I'd change is make it either 6 or 8 bulbs and have the ballasts be external. I'm only a few months in to having success in the acro game so take from me what you will. My gut tells me the Radions are a better light than the Kessil. But the muted shimmer you get when combined with T5s looks fantastic and there's no disco ball effect with the Kessils either.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you say you only have a phone camera - as if your pictures or videos are any less amazing than DSLRs.
Your Videos are better than anyone i have seen making reef vids.
Hey bud! Thanks for the kind words! Somehow I missed this post earlier. I didn't think anybody even watched the videos. They are fun to make for me though when I have time so I'll just keep pushing them out. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm adoring the new 4 bulb aquaticlife fixture with my AP700. The only thing I think I'd change is make it either 6 or 8 bulbs and have the ballasts be external. I'm only a few months in to having success in the acro game so take from me what you will. My gut tells me the Radions are a better light than the Kessil. But the muted shimmer you get when combined with T5s looks fantastic and there's no disco ball effect with the Kessils either.
I keep getting dragged back and forth! 4 Radions stuffed into a 60" Aquatic Life fixture flanked by 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ sounds like an awesome dream right now. Now I'm wondering if I'm just bored with the lighting and just want to make a change for change sake.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What about the ATI hybrid, other than cost it seems like a winner to me.

The cost of this unit is extreme and the results won't be any better than a Sunpower. The LEDs shine from the inside out.......fantastic if you view the tank from the top, but we view from the front of the tank. Slightly angled in LED supplementing from the front relates to more direct reflection off the corals to your eyes. This becomes a larger factor when the corals are large colonies. Most will eventually add another strip to the back to fill in for the overall view.

I like the Powermodule, but you have to be very careful with it................it's very easy to trash corals with the LED.
I've had numerous friends kill corals................My suggestion is to always color up and get the corals growing good with just the bulbs. Then overtime you can slowly work in the LEDs for that extra bling.

I bought the SBREEF actinic bar with that same intent. I guess I'll be sticking with that setup but changing my bulb combo to Big E's.

Sounds like a good plan............as I mentioned above, you can work the SBreef bar into the mix slowly once the corals are doing well. SBreef bar is the only one that partially gets adding more violet and also the dimming feature is a plus. The other thing I might do is add some diffuser material to the mix. This will eliminate any beaming/disco effect and produce a smoother mix across the tank.

The blue supplement LEDs can add that pop for viewing, but you also have to be careful to not overdue it.
I've seen acros suffer when you're adding way to much of that single 450nm spectrum on too long of a duration.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep getting dragged back and forth! 4 Radions stuffed into a 60" Aquatic Life fixture flanked by 2 blue+ and 2 coral+ sounds like an awesome dream right now. Now I'm wondering if I'm just bored with the lighting and just want to make a change for change sake.

Bolded sentence-- Bingo!!:D

Realistically, the only gain you can expect is some shimmer.

For spread and bang for buck if you want to go this route I'd look into the Orphek units. I also think Reef Breeders with 4 T5s will get the same goal without having to apply for a second mortgage.
Two well known farmers/retailers I respect have nothing but good things to say about Reefbreeders.

I know you weren't considering these other brands but I would do some research in this direction if you go that route.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bolded sentence-- Bingo!!:D

Realistically, the only gain you can expect is some shimmer.

For spread and bang for buck if you want to go this route I'd look into the Orphek units. I also think Reef Breeders with 4 T5s will get the same goal without having to apply for a second mortgage.
Two well known farmers/retailers I respect have nothing but good things to say about Reefbreeders.

I know you weren't considering these other brands but I would do some research in this direction if you go that route.

Thanks Big E. It seems we have very similar logic so I appreciate you taking the time to write out your thoughts as I followed them like they were my own.

I'll lightly use the actinic bar (2 hrs dawn/dusk) and dim it a bit to not overwhelm my acros. I'll already switched out my 2 purple + for 2 coral + and added one more coral +. I'll transition to 50/50 blue+ to coral+ in my 8-bulb fixture eventually.

The pictures I took of my tank in my first few posts were when it was under Ocean Revive fixtures supplemented with T5s. To me, they are basically reefbreeders as they use the same diodes. I changed out their spectrum to provide a more warm white light and got my best results with that. If all else fails, I can always go back to the well with that setup.

The new Orphek units do look tantalizing but at $900/fixture and looks like I'll need 3, that's just as pricey of a move as going with the Radions but at least you'd get more even coverage with them.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my new build I went with a 6 bulb ATI with 2 Reefbrite XHO strips on either side. My tank will be sps dominate. I had radion gen 3 pros on my last tank and I hated that I was always trying to get the perfect settings on them. I would end up fiddling with the settings so much that my corals did like the constant changes.. This time I wanted to go plug and play..

tito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my new build I went with a 6 bulb ATI with 2 Reefbrite XHO strips on either side. My tank will be sps dominate. I had radion gen 3 pros on my last tank and I hated that I was always trying to get the perfect settings on them. I would end up fiddling with the settings so much that my corals did like the constant changes.. This time I wanted to go plug and play..

I have the same issue with my G4's. I seem to be always adjusting the settings to find the sweet spot. I am going to switch to T5's on my SPS tank.

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 8x54w over my 96x24x25 with a reefbrite on the front of each. My tank was started in May. Hoping it will be good enough to make it a SPS dominate tank.

Reeflogic