Acronyms, Abbreviations, Vocabulary, and Slang for the Reef Aquarist, Revised December 2018

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Seawitch, hello people. Sorry but I am new to the forum and since I am new to saltwater this is a post that will be very helpfull. So, can someone tell me how can I bookmark this post in my account?
Thank you...
Not sure if you figured it out yet, but at the very top of a post, in the line with the date, on the right end of that is a bookmark icon right next to the post number. HTH (Hope that helps ;))

RAP

jrock flimflam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Howdy all, i was hoping to find definitions for the terms a lot of the fish sites like liveaquaria use for coral conditions.
Flow rate: Moderate? Is moderate 12" away from a pump at 500gph or would that be high water flow?
Same thing on lighting. I guess i'm looking for more tangible numbers like gph or par vs low, moderate, high. Any guidance would be great.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Howdy all, i was hoping to find definitions for the terms a lot of the fish sites like liveaquaria use for coral conditions.
Flow rate: Moderate? Is moderate 12" away from a pump at 500gph or would that be high water flow?
Same thing on lighting. I guess i'm looking for more tangible numbers like gph or par vs low, moderate, high. Any guidance would be great.
You know that is a pretty good point. Honestly everything is going to be different for every system. I would consider moderate flow to enough to cause a coral to sway in the flow and not being blown away. As for lighting, low end would probably have a PAR of 100 or less, moderate somewhere between 100-200, and of course high PAR would be above 200.

General rule of thumb I go by is how is the coral reacting to it's current location? If you are getting good polyp extension, coloring looks good then I would leave it where it is.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache

jrock flimflam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
...General rule of thumb I go by is how is the coral reacting to it's current location? If you are getting good polyp extension, coloring looks good then I would leave it where it is.

Thanks for the help. Using your rule of thumb, if you change a pump position and something doesnt seem to like it, how long would you leave say polps in one spot before moving them to another?

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Using your rule of thumb, if you change a pump position and something doesnt seem to like it, how long would you leave say polps in one spot before moving them to another?
That would depend on the coral. For example Duncan's get upset quite easy and can take awhile to open up, but generally if you see an immediate negative reaction I would most likely put things back the way they were and come up with a different game plan if possible.

Corals.com

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Very nice comprehensive list.
I've got a few more that are commonly seen on this forum, that you might add.

CP - In addition to Chloroquine Phosphate, this can also refer to Copper Power, currently the best available chelated copper medication. Particularly confusing as they are both used to treat the same thing.

ASD - Aqua SD, popular online seller.

CC - Cherry Corals, popular online seller.

OG - I see this a lot with coral frags. Apparently borrowed from other fields, in particular, the illicit drug trade and rap/ hip hop music, where it meant 'original gangster' or 'original growth'. Now generalized to refer to an original or old school source.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
OG - I see this a lot with coral frags. Apparently borrowed from other fields, in particular, the illicit drug trade and rap/ hip hop music, where it meant 'original gangster' or 'original growth'. Now generalized to refer to an original or old school source.
OG - Original German has been used for decades to refer to vintage Volkswagen parts that came from the factory.

First Choice

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
F*^%#@ Up Beyond All Repair
Note from the Editor:

Conspicuously absent from this list are any acronyms that contain vulgarity or masked vulgarity or even possibly suggested vulgarity because they are not permitted on Reef2Reef. We are a family-friendly forum.

and that is why it did not make the cut.

Do you think there are benefits to turning your skimmer off for periods of time?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • NO

Votes: 45 31.5%
  • Maybe but not sure

Votes: 56 39.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%