Acropora and Palytoxin (Zoas&Palys)

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Since i can't find much with the search option I was wondering if Palytoxin can have a negative effect on sps?

Since i want my tank to be sps dominant I wanna reduce all possible stress factors for my acros.
I have 8 different zoas/Palys on a separate rock i use just for fragging and selling.

So when I freshly cut/fragged zoanthids is the Palytoxin what comes in the tanks water harmful for sps?

Thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

Since i can't find much with the search option I was wondering if Palytoxin can have a negative effect on sps?

Since i want my tank to be sps dominant I wanna reduce all possible stress factors for my acros.
I have 8 different zoas/Palys on a separate rock i use just for fragging and selling.

So when I freshly cut/fragged zoanthids is the Palytoxin what comes in the tanks water harmful for sps?

Thanks
Yes it can. They (Specifically Palys) can nuke your entire tank depending on how toxic. I’ve avoided this coral for years, because it’s not worth it for me. I’ve seen people’s wife’s and dog’s get sick. A lot of guys have ended up in the hospital and also quit the hobby. Many reefers have fragged and got squirted in the eye. Not a good situation after that happens.

Check out this video by JS. You might reconsider after hearing this:

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can. They (Specifically Palys) can nuke your entire tank depending on how toxic. I’ve avoided this coral for years, because it’s not worth it for me. I’ve seen people’s wife’s and dog’s get sick. A lot of guys have ended up in the hospital and also quit the hobby. Many reefers have fragged and got squirted in the eye. Not a good situation after that happens.

Check out this video by JS. You might reconsider after hearing this:

Thank you, will look into the video!

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most research done shows only a few species of Palythoa have large concentrations of PLTX nearly all samples of species of Zoanthus sp show undetectable levels with some Z. sociatus showing just trace amounts.

Then there is the rampant misidentification of Palythoa, majority of Zoa's that are labeled as Palys by vendors/traders aren't even Palythoa.
Utter chaos, ding dangs, browsers, nirvanas, frozen apples, timewarp, people eaters, armor of the gods, bloodsuckers etc etc ARE NOT real palythoa. Most of these "imposters" are Z. gigantus, solanderi, vietmanemisis, pulchellus or kurisho.

Exceptions-green implosion, purple deaths, texas trash,captain jerks etc are actually real Palythoa and should garner caution.

Its very possible that you don't have any zoas that have concentrations of PLTX to be medically significant or risk to other corals/tank inhabitants

OP
OP
Sophisticated Reefer

Sophisticated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most research done shows only a few species of Palythoa have large concentrations of PLTX nearly all samples of species of Zoanthus sp show undetectable levels with some Z. sociatus showing just trace amounts.

Then there is the rampant misidentification of Palythoa, majority of Zoa's that are labeled as Palys by vendors/traders aren't even Palythoa.
Utter chaos, ding dangs, browsers, nirvanas, frozen apples, timewarp, people eaters, armor of the gods, bloodsuckers etc etc ARE NOT real palythoa. Most of these "imposters" are Z. gigantus, solanderi, vietmanemisis, pulchellus or kurisho.

Exceptions-green implosion, purple deaths, texas trash,captain jerks etc are actually real Palythoa and should garner caution.

Its very possible that you don't have any zoas that have concentrations of PLTX to be medically significant or risk to other corals/tank inhabitants
Ok thanks! That's informative, i always use carbon to reduce stress but it might not be a problem after all then

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back