Acros: Do you let them grow into colonies before fragging?

Acros: Do you let them grow into colonies before fragging?

• Let them grow

Votes: 160 72.4%
  • Frag as soon as I can

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • A little of both

Votes: 45 20.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sure if I'll be going acro but if I do then let them grow and trim, only if needed and then to spread to other parts. It's a hobby. Last I want is turning this into a business of necessity vs perhaps trading excess at my LFS or swap. Plus purpose to get a tank is to enjoy it in its full natural beauty vs all chopped up for cash.

Last edited:

thirst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D0A82C0E-3F71-4601-BE37-26E26F952FDF.jpeg

time to frag the piece on the right

jfitz78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be more excited to frag them up especially high value corals but now I just let them grow. Market is either too saturated or too thin I can barely give away Oregon torts here in MN.
I am up in Babbitt MN and will take your frags I will even drive to me you.

Jeanette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be more excited to frag them up especially high value corals but now I just let them grow. Market is either too saturated or too thin I can barely give away Oregon torts here in MN.
Dang! I've been looking for a frag of Oregon tort for over a year now. Its a favorite of mine. I had a nice colony of it and lost it about 18 months ago. I'm in Des Moines, and haven't found anyone in Iowa with a colony of it to get a frag from.

David Gaskins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang... I almost cry when I read such things..
here in my country I cannot even get my hands on a bali green slimer...
market is almost inexistent and I can only buy Maricultured stuff... its a shame..
Too bad you’re not in my neck of the woods. That’s one “Slimer”‘I have to cut back as it wants to grow up out of tank.
I Frag my colonies when they get larger and try and share/trade with our local club (Coastal Georgia Reef Club). In case something goes south with my setup, there’s always someone I can reach out to for a lifeline.

sincerely,

David

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd prefer to wait until they have a number of good sized arms before fragging.
Having said that, does fragging frequently seem to have an effect on how quickly the colony grows?
I find fraggin helps colonies grow and spurs them to split branches.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old school...it must be a colony to share...but the colony has to grow just a little bit more before I'll trim it....no matter how big it gets it never big enough :rolleyes:

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my experience, fragging a frag or small colony is like trying to keep a small camp fire going by removing logs. The little fire will not have the fuel it needs to establish itself. SPS frags and colonies can take a year to acclimate to your specific parameters. While that is happening, it is compromised. Any fragging or paramter / lighting changes, during that time, will likely put the coral at risk, as it channels it's reduced resources towards healing the wound. This is not like in nature, where a fish or storm breaks pieces off that may eventually settle into ideal areas of a reef with the same parameters. This is why I generally only sell / trade frags that are well established on plugs.

That said, the best part of growing a frag into a colony is seeing the true growth forms and color that come with patience. Once settled, you can clip and bonsai your colonies all you want and share frags freely.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let them atleast get to a nice mini colony before any fragging. Like 4in diameter and multiple branches. And even then i only frag one or 2 pieces for a back up colony. When those pieces grow ill frag them sooner while i let the mother grow out and only frag the mother when necessary.

k2reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who feels the need to frag and toss them out can toss them into a shipping box and send them this way

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same experience of others here, I generally would let them grow. Sometimes I frag and make a new colony somewhere else in my tank. I had a blue Palmer mili that grew into three softball sized colonies and a cherry bomb that grew into a basketball sized colony. I find trading them in exhausting and even if I give them away free people would always turn into high maintenance nightmares treating me like their personal tank support calling me at 3 am and stuff.

I usually end up throwing away frags of my cherry bomb, blue Palmer, pc rainbow and bill murray. I am forced to clip my bubblegum digi almost daily as it has turned into a weed.

I also feel large colonies tend to lose their beauty when they get too large. I feel all sps look their best right as they transition from frag to small colony beginnings. If I had my way my tank would be hundreds of different acropora that max grown to small golfball sized colonies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back