Acros last longer than Zoas in everyone's tank!

Do you believe acros last longer in a reef tank than zoanthids do?

• YES if the tank is able to sustain health for sps.

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • NO zoas will last longer.

Votes: 28 59.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Acros last longer than Zoas in everyone's tank! CHANGE MY MIND!!

The criteria is that your tank is healthy and able to sustain health and growth for both sps an zoas.

0fc767b46805e6d1f18cb0c795b03285.jpg

Beautiful reef via @Ledreef

Crabs McJones

Mayor of R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
I've only been in the hobby for maybe 5 years, but I have both and they're so far living along each other no problems :)

[email protected]

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
@revhtree, it's not our fault you can't keep your zoas alive. :p

I think they're both good to be kept in a stable reef and would be surprised if one consistently outlasts the other. However, IME zoas are better at taking hits in a less-than-stable reef than SPS are.

OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
@revhtree, it's not our fault you can't keep your zoas alive. :p

I think they're both good to be kept in a stable reef and would be surprised if one consistently outlasts the other. However, IME zoas are better at taking hits in a less-than-stable reef than SPS are.
Bro have you seen my colonies? :p They look good. But you can have one turn into a thousand and a thousand turn into one pretty quick! LOL!

Crabs McJones

Mayor of R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Bro have you seen my colonies? :p They look good. But you can have one turn into a thousand and a thousand turn into one pretty quick! LOL!
No Rev, nobody has seen your colonies. You never update your build thread ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

saf1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Pass by me. My Coral Beauty eats Zoa's like they are skittles or me with ice cream...

andrewkw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I lost all my sps (not that I had that many) when I moved long distance 3 years ago. The problem was I didn’t move into the new house for 6 weeks so I had holding tanks in my parents bathroom.

I had palys (not zoanthids but close) grow back on live rock I kept for maybe 6 months with just a power head and occasional top off.

A lot of zoanthids will mysteriously disappear over the years. Sometimes I wonder what happened to so and so. This doesn’t really happen with sps, but they are far less likely to be overgrown.

Bpb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Agree. I have an infinitely easier time keeping acros alive than zoas.

Top Shelf Aquatics

L Sean Hubbard

View Badges
Reaction score
I would think coral would technically be able to live forever, given the right conditions, although I'd imagine sps would succumb to things like overgrowth, where parts of a colony may eventually grow over others.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Gotta disagree . Zoas definitely last longer in my tanks. That’s because everyone keeps buying my Acros !!! OOOOOOOOO RoFl!!!!

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score

These plays and other zoas once covered this rock. My tank crashed during hurricane Irma no power 8 days then I took everything out as the smell was crazy in the house and put all my rock out side for three days to dry out and start over Went back in tank for 6 months super neglected as I had lost the urge. 1.5 years Later there starting to take off agian... true story how is it possible I don’t know.

My acros and montis that once existed are literary part of my base rock now with new corals on top of them

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Rate your current reefing satisfaction level! (CLICK HERE)

• Very satisfied

Votes: 151 45.9%
  • Just satisfied

Votes: 86 26.1%
  • Somewhat satsified

Votes: 68 20.7%
  • Not satisfied

Votes: 24 7.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors