Acros last longer than Zoas in everyone's tank!

Do you believe acros last longer in a reef tank than zoanthids do?

• YES if the tank is able to sustain health for sps.

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • NO zoas will last longer.

Votes: 28 58.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acros last longer than Zoas in everyone's tank! CHANGE MY MIND!!

The criteria is that your tank is healthy and able to sustain health and growth for both sps an zoas.

0fc767b46805e6d1f18cb0c795b03285.jpg

Beautiful reef via @Ledreef

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@revhtree, it's not our fault you can't keep your zoas alive. :p

I think they're both good to be kept in a stable reef and would be surprised if one consistently outlasts the other. However, IME zoas are better at taking hits in a less-than-stable reef than SPS are.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@revhtree, it's not our fault you can't keep your zoas alive. :p

I think they're both good to be kept in a stable reef and would be surprised if one consistently outlasts the other. However, IME zoas are better at taking hits in a less-than-stable reef than SPS are.

Bro have you seen my colonies? :p They look good. But you can have one turn into a thousand and a thousand turn into one pretty quick! LOL!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro have you seen my colonies? :p They look good. But you can have one turn into a thousand and a thousand turn into one pretty quick! LOL!
No Rev, nobody has seen your colonies. You never update your build thread ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all my sps (not that I had that many) when I moved long distance 3 years ago. The problem was I didn’t move into the new house for 6 weeks so I had holding tanks in my parents bathroom.

I had palys (not zoanthids but close) grow back on live rock I kept for maybe 6 months with just a power head and occasional top off.

A lot of zoanthids will mysteriously disappear over the years. Sometimes I wonder what happened to so and so. This doesn’t really happen with sps, but they are far less likely to be overgrown.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll kill an sps in hours. Zoas last long time.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah, acros last longer than Zoas in my tank. That’s because I’m not bleaching rocks with acros

L Sean Hubbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think coral would technically be able to live forever, given the right conditions, although I'd imagine sps would succumb to things like overgrowth, where parts of a colony may eventually grow over others.

SKYHIGGh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b74c6cc074944ffce0f48e294f3a7fff.jpg

These plays and other zoas once covered this rock. My tank crashed during hurricane Irma no power 8 days then I took everything out as the smell was crazy in the house and put all my rock out side for three days to dry out and start over Went back in tank for 6 months super neglected as I had lost the urge. 1.5 years Later there starting to take off agian... true story how is it possible I don’t know.

My acros and montis that once existed are literary part of my base rock now with new corals on top of them

Back