Acros nearly touching but no signs of warfare?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm new to first world problems of SPS growing into each other and could use some advise.

These two acros are now just millimeters away from each other at certain places yet showing no signs of warfare. Both seem completely happy growing into one another. Are there any circumstances where different acros like this are compatible and don't need to be trimmed to keep distance? Should I trim now or wait and see what happens when they finally touch?

IMG_20190214_180110.jpg

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience this will go one of three ways.

1. The two corals will put off some type of pheromone or something and each coral will respect each others space. Never touching. Like an invisible barrier.

2. The two corals will grow together causing a wall of protection between the two. Once established the two corals will do there own thing.

3. The fastest grower of the 2 will compete for space and attack other coral by stinging and attatching to it. This can go on for long time. Ultimately one will loose battle sooner or later.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back