Acrylic and toddlers: how to protect acrylic?

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an older parent and the proud owner of a toddler. He loves the fishtank but doesn't understand acrylic and not to couch it. I think it's gonna be a few years before he grasps that concept.

Does anyone have any great tips on keeping a toddler away from the acrylic? Yesterday I caught him trying to attach magnets to it. Thankfully no scratches!

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you want to put up a gate type thing to physically keep him away, there really isn’t a non obtrusive way. You will just have to constantly teach, remind and tell him how to behave with the tank. My 4 yo daughter is trustworthy around my tank and doesn’t need constant eagle eyes anymore...my 1 yo son is still in the remind/teach/tell him phase. He would be -IN- my sump if given half a second of free time.
PS: please confirm electric fencing works if you decide to give it a try ;Hilarious

OP
OP
zalick

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you want to put up a gate type thing to physically keep him away, there really isn’t a non obtrusive way. You will just have to constantly teach, remind and tell him how to behave with the tank. My 4 yo daughter is trustworthy around my tank and doesn’t need constant eagle eyes anymore...my 1 yo son is still in the remind/teach/tell him phase. He would be -IN- my sump if given half a second of free time.
PS: please confirm electric fencing works if you decide to give it a try ;Hilarious
Good idea. I think this is gonna be the way. :/

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious note, one of those huge collapsible gates/play pens. Open it up and have it horseshoe around the tank.

Something like this...

Evenflo Versatile Play Space

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya a toddler, trust your gonna need a 3ft fence around your tank. Your in for a world of parenting lol

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serious note, one of those huge collapsible gates/play pens. Open it up and have it horseshoe around the tank.

Something like this...

Evenflo Versatile Play Space

Can confirm these are fantastic. Ive used one to block off the tv stand for both of my kids. Ugly, but 1000% better than removing your child from the tv stand 10 times every hour.

Pwnm30rdi3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two toddlers are always around my tank right now, they don't seem to care all too much about the tank. When they do take interest, there isn't much you can do short of buying a large gate. Be sure to keep all "accessories" out of reach. IE. keep powerheads high, cleaning magnets in another room, cords and controllers hidden, ect.

I've probably put more scratches in my acrylic cleaning than the kids have. Exterior scratches are much easier to remove compared to internal scratches.

Worst case scenario they give the tank a nasty jab and you spend the weekend buffing a scratch out. My 2 cents!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanna see what a toddler can do to a stand?

haha, mine went nuts!

Attachments

• 2023BCFE-D676-44FA-9F47-99E1ED7A8654.jpeg
    2023BCFE-D676-44FA-9F47-99E1ED7A8654.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 53

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man. Mine is almost 6 and still needs reminders not to mess with the tank sometimes. I had to get rid of my MP10 when she was younger because she would try to pull it off the tank.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back