Acrylic bonding to acrylic and to glass.

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’m currently planning on making a DIY AIO tank. I’m planning to use acrylic as the back compartment (overflow and baffles) and ive ordered them seperate of each other.
How do I connect the acrylic sheets to each other? And how do I connect it to the glass? I’ve also bought some black silicone and am planning to use it with the acrylic-glass connection. How do I do acrylic-acrylic connection? Is silicone viable enough?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, as far as acrylic to acrylic,no silicone ,weld on . i use # 16 ,for acrylic to glass ,silicone will work ,but i would make sure reef safe ,i feel in years will eventually fail in spots,jmo, lets ask a couple of experts..good luck.. :)
@Joe Glass Cages @Lowell Lemon ,thoughts?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, as far as acrylic to acrylic,no silicone ,weld on . i use # 16 ,for acrylic to glass ,silicone will work ,but i would make sure reef safe ,i feel in years will eventually fail in spots,jmo, lets ask a couple of experts..good luck.. :)
Agreed your going to want to weld the acrylic to acrylic then silicone the acrylic to the glass. Whenever I do acrylic to glass I leave 1/16-1/8th gap, that gets filled with cone. Then I make sure to have at least 1/4inch of silicone on both the acrylic and the glass.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for acrylic to acrylic, no silicone but instead use weldon? what is actually #16? hahah

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:)hang tight let others chime in, poss different # to use..:)

WP_20200514_20_22_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20200514_20_22_53_Pro.jpg

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally agree @fishguy242. Acrylic to Acrylic with Weld-on and Glass to Glass with Silicone.

we build our AIO's and Overflows in Glass and then wrap them with Acrylic to achieve the weir teeth.

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed your going to want to weld the acrylic to acrylic then silicone the acrylic to the glass. Whenever I do acrylic to glass I leave 1/16-1/8th gap, that gets filled with cone. Then I make sure to have at least 1/4inch of silicone on both the acrylic and the glass.
What do you mean by 1/16 - 1/8th gap? is that inches?

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
totally agree @fishguy242. Acrylic to Acrylic with Weld-on and Glass to Glass with Silicone.

we build our AIO's and Overflows in Glass and then wrap them with Acrylic to achieve the weir teeth.

Hope that helps.
Im planning to use acrylic glue for the acrylic-acrylic connection and use silicone for the acrylic-glass connection. Should be okay right?
1622819599356.png

This is the product Im going to use for the ac-ac connection, bought it from where I custom cut my acrylics. waiting on it to arrive

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for and acrylic to glass connection, I would not trust silicone long term. It bonds poorly to acrylic and will leak over time. If it's just for internal baffles it should be OK but if it's an external overflow you're asking for a flood.

Even for internal baffles you need to consider what happens if the seals leak. When the tank is running it would be fine, but if the power is cut and the water slowly leaks through the seal it could still cause a flood.

finally, be aware that acrylic will swell somewhat in water. If you make an acrylic baffle that is tightly fitting, it can swell and stress or even break the glass over time. It's best to leave about ⅛" (3mm) at the joints.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for and acrylic to glass connection, I would not trust silicone long term. It bonds poorly to acrylic and will leak over time. If it's just for internal baffles it should be OK but if it's an external overflow you're asking for a flood.

Even for internal baffles you need to consider what happens if the seals leak. When the tank is running it would be fine, but if the power is cut and the water slowly leaks through the seal it could still cause a flood.

finally, be aware that acrylic will swell somewhat in water. If you make an acrylic baffle that is tightly fitting, it can swell and stress or even break the glass over time. It's best to leave about ⅛" (3mm) at the joints.
@Uzair Aiman, please read this from @Sleepydoc. this is spot on.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e33c47537e6589be9a07f2a61b689b1.jpg
840682cba487135ae338a5aa58eb838.jpg
dd84d34be66935fd534bc9496da4215.jpg
0e5ab0ede65c0435b1cf077d3729d0d.jpg

亚克力和玻璃使用瓦克131玻璃胶连接。我已经使用它两年了。
I can’t tell exactly how you’ve used it, but that appears to be plain acid-cure silicone sealant. It will stick to acrylic initially but will not hold long term. If you are using it for any critical joints expect them to fail over time.

ljc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I’m currently planning on making a DIY AIO tank. I’m planning to use acrylic as the back compartment (overflow and baffles) and ive ordered them seperate of each other.
How do I connect the acrylic sheets to each other? And how do I connect it to the glass? I’ve also bought some black silicone and am planning to use it with the acrylic-glass connection. How do I do acrylic-acrylic connection? Is silicone viable enough?
Hi Uzair,

What did you wind up using? I am planning a rather large AIO in a 210 Gallon Tank. Still am not sure on the Acrylic to Glass Part.

OP
OP
Uzair Aiman

Uzair Aiman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Uzair,

What did you wind up using? I am planning a rather large AIO in a 210 Gallon Tank. Still am not sure on the Acrylic to Glass Part.
Hi! Since Ive just really made and set up the tank myself, in the long run I dont know if my set up is "okay". But I ended up in using acrylic cement for the acrylic-acrylic part (I bought it online and its relatively easy to use and its cheap). Whereas I used silicone to bond the acrylic to the glass. Be sure that the silicone work is nicely done as I messed up a little bit at the baffles and some water leaked out from one compartment to the other (it was just small drips of water so I wouldn't bother in fixing it). For now everything seems to run fine! Ill send the pics of the filtration system tomorrow as all my lights are out now and I dont wanna disturb my fish sleeping haha. But you can see the "progress" here by now :

make sure that u have something to hold on your overflow compartment while the silicone sets so it doesnt fall off or create leaks in the future

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back