• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Acrylic filter sock silencer for stock Red Sea Reefer sumps.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone provide me with diameter measurements please?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield you photo is not of the red sea sump, correct? i'm up for designing for red sea and standard 4"/7" sizes as well.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can someone provide me with diameter measurements please?

For a standard 4" sock they measure 3.64"... this fits the sock nice and snug.

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. And aren't the red sea socks different size?

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing you need to know, the silencers for Red Sea trays can't have handles. The socks use, and so would the silencers, a tray. A handle wouldn't be able to slip through the slot that the holder tray slides into.

I think we need silencers that work independent of the socks. I run a Reef Dreams baffle in my stock sump for the Triton Method. The baffle forms a refuge for algae and pods and is strongly encouraged by the Triton people. The Triton method is in it's infancy and so is the Red Sea Reefer Series. I think the overwhelming majority of RSR Triton people would want the silencers without the socks. There are already a lot of RSR people that want the silencers without sock and the demand will definitely grow. I wouldn't be fair if only the silencers with socks or if only the silencers without socks were the only ones made.

OP
OP
powers2001

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason socks don't work well in refuges is they take up space, block light and flow. And it would be better for detritus to spill directly into the refuge and not be mechanically removed by the sock. We all know pods love detritus!! B-) There are a lot of refuge lights that magnetically couple with the side walls of sumps and shine across horizontally into the refuge. Socks would be directly in the path of that light.

Last edited:

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that's right, forgot about the sliding tray.

Another thing you need to know, the silencers for Red Sea trays can't have handles. The socks use, and so would the silencers, a tray. A handle wouldn't be able to slip through the slot that the holder tray slides into.

I think we need silencers that work independent of the socks. I run a Reef Dreams baffle in my stock sump for the Triton Method. The baffle forms a refuge for algae and pods and is strongly encouraged by the Triton people. The Triton method is in it's infancy and so is the Red Sea Reefer Series. I think the overwhelming majority of RSR Triton people would want the silencers without the socks. There are already a lot of RSR people that want the silencers without sock and the demand will definitely grow. I wouldn't be fair if only the silencers with socks or if only the silencers without socks were the only ones made.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
socksilencer4.jpg

currently in testing phase for the standard 4" sock size. need to go buy a red sea sock for sizing then i'll make a working prototype for that one.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back