Acrylic Shield on the ATI LED Powermodule

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by Fin, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Fin

Fin Is it wet yet? R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

What is the "risk" of running the ATI LED Powermodule without the acrylic shield? I know the instructions state NEVER operate without the shield, but the way my tank sits at a diagonal in a corner, the shield will not slide out because it is obstructed by a wall. I would rather not have to take the fixture down from the ceiling every time I want to change bulbs. The unit is already out of warranty, so not worried about that. Will it harm the unit, inhibit optimum results, or is it a safety issue?

Tags:

2. DogueDeBordeaux

DogueDeBordeaux Active Member

I do not have the led model.
    On my ati T5 I think the shield helps with the fan cooling across the bulbs, and salt splash/spray. Without the shield the fan could not push air through and out the open side.

Fritzhamer and Fin like this.
  3. rtparty

rtparty Well-Known Member

The main purpose of the shield is to protect the reflectors and end caps from salt and water. The end caps are not water proof so you run the risk of a fish splashing and possibly ruining those. If you can keep the fixture 8-10" or more off the surface and don't have splashing fish, you might be okay long term.

The shield does help with cooling as well

Fin likes this.
  4. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Without the shield you can expect your reflectors to get pitted and degrade very quickly. They are made of Miro Silver which is highly susceptible to oxidation from the salt. It is not the same as other fixtures that people commonly run without a shield and a good part of the reason our fixtures have so much more output.

Cooling will also be ineffective, the acrylic channels the airflow down the length of the tubes which maximizes output and lifespan.

Long story short, its a terrible idea. Trust me, its worth the effort to take it down if that is what is needed to change bulbs.

5. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

A local reefer had his ATI light fixture bust into flames and almost burn down his basement ... he took off the acrylic shield. Even "cooked" his corals and firefighters involved .. omigosh

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  6. ATI North America

ATI North America Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

This does not sound correct. The ballasts have a built in protection to prevent this type of situation, he must have got water inside the light at the power before the ballast for this to even be possible. Even then, there is nothing really in the fixture except a little plastic on the end caps and the wire insulation that can actually burn.

Something tells me there is a lot more to the story here, or "almost" is nothing more than smoke due to water damage.

7. Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey Valuable Member

it was hanging pretty low to water surface ... could be another source, who knows

8. Fin

Fin Is it wet yet? R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I figured it was a bad idea. Just thought I would ask. I was planning on changing a couple of bulbs at a time to not shock the corals too badly when I changed bulbs. Not looking forward to taking that bad boy down every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted