Acrylic Shield

Discussion in 'ATI Aquaristik' started by jgraz, Oct 22, 2015.

1. jgraz

jgraz Valuable Member

First let me say I love my Sunpower. Frankly its one of the best investments I made with my system. I love everything about it except 1 thing. The acrylic shield. I realize T5 puts out a good amount of heat, and without the shield the fixture cannot be properly cooled. For those reasons i have never taken it off. Because of that I have subjected myself to a sagging acrylic shield from day one. I has always been just a little bit but as of late it has gotten worse and worse.
    I turned off the lights just to get this pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this a defect in the fixture? My fixture is less then a year old, and I cant imagine with all the quality that is put into these fixtures that a piece of acrylic would be allowed to create such an eyesore.
    Is there anything that can be done here?

Thank you in advance

Tags:

2. Reeferside

Reeferside Active Member

Dang. looks bad. I've had my ATI for longer n it doesn't look like thatt....

3. neupane00

neupane00 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

my old ati had no issues.. now i have a new one.. dimmable and i have the same issue.

4. Reeferside

Reeferside Active Member

Lets trade ATI's :) I'll gladly take your new dimmable one

5. joeyhatch11

joeyhatch11 Well-Known Member

With the fixture high enough off the water and having the tank covered with mesh, why not just remove the splash guard?

6. Joshky

Joshky Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Big Blue Reef Member Build Thread Contributor

Mine sags as well, not quite as bad as yours though. I bought it used and I've personally only had it in use for 2 weeks so who knows if it'll get worse.

7. jgraz

jgraz Valuable Member

The ATI fixtures require the cover for proper cooling.

Sahin, Cyndi and joeyhatch11 like this.
  8. reefmadness

reefmadness Active Member

I there any way you could add a eurobrace of sorts to the ends? Maybe run a 1/2 inch piece down the length of it front to back to reduce or correct the sag all together?

9. jgraz

jgraz Valuable Member

I'd rather wait on ATI before I go modifying a fixture under warranty.

Cyndi likes this.
  10. reefmadness

reefmadness Active Member

Understandable.

11. tigé21v

tigé21v Active Member

If it sags much more it's gonna fall out... You may want to use a piece of tape to pull the sag out and offer some support until you get it resolved.
    I have three different Sunpowers, two 48" and a 36", though all are only 6 bulb fixtures. That said, there's little to no sagging with any of them.
    Quality fixtures, I am sure they will take care of the problem.

12. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader NJRC Member Partner Member 2018

13. ATI Aquaristik

ATI Aquaristik Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

@jgratz
    please flip the acrylic shield and check all T5-fans. Something like this only happens if the acrylic gets hotter than usual.

14. jgraz

jgraz Valuable Member

All fans are working. That shield had been flipped several times now. If I flip it today it will be like this by mid day.

I emailed everything to you yesterday pics and a copy of my invoice. I recently had a ballast go out as well. That claim was already processed I believe. Is it possible that the fans while working are not working well enough causing this fixture to have these issues. I can't imagine 10 months is the working life of a ballast and this shield issue has been since day 1 just not this bad. It has gotten worse with time.

@ATI North America

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  15. Harry_Y

Harry_Y Valuable Member

Edit

Seems the Company is helping you

16. ATI Aquaristik

ATI Aquaristik Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

In order to guard against misunderstandings. I am Oliver Pritzel (ATI Germany) and the developer of the ATI Sunpower and not ATI North America. For further help please stay in contact with ATI North America. I just saw the picture of your acrylic shield an was surprised to see something unusual like this. I guess that not all fans are working like they should do and that too much heat is the main problem for everything. I am sure ATI North America will help you soon.

regards,
    Oliver

17. jgraz

jgraz Valuable Member

Thank you Oliver.
    I have indeed been in touch. With ATI North America. Just waiting to hear back from them.

The fans are all in motion and the plug is set to 9 as per quick start guide. But like you I suspect the fans are just not doing their job. Considering the early failure of the ballast and now the excessive flex of the shield, I'd say there is a bit to much heat building up.

18. Frankyrivera

Frankyrivera Active Member CTARS Member

I just purchased a new 60" 8 bulb ATI and my fixture has only been running for a full week tomorrow since I put it in last Thursday lol. My acrylic shield looked like that before I plugged it in. So not really buying the heat causing it. I think the acrylic shield is too heavy across an 8 bulb span. Notice how people who don't have sagging issues are running either a 6 or 4 bulb and are either 36 or 48 inch fixtures. I have both a 6 bulb 48" dimmable with no sag and a 8 bulb 60" with plenty of sag Concerned myself

19. NeptuneGarden

NeptuneGarden Active Member

replace with piece made from polycarbonate.

Acrylic gets soft at temps as low as 90 degrees F
    Polycarb has to get to more like 150 degrees F

20. jgraz

jgraz Valuable Member

I agree 100%.
    I never really followed up here. They sent me a me a new shield to replace the bending one. It was like pulling teeth to get it but I got it, and when I did it too flexed pretty much right away. I stand by my original assessment in that the fans are not doing their job, or there is just to much heat in these 60" bulbs. At this point I've learned to live with it. Flexing acrylic or not, there is no other straight T5 fixture still on the market that compares.........at least none that I know of.

Draft saved Draft deleted