Acrylic tank… questions before I buy

rexzilla_03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone long time lurker, semi checked out of the hobby while my tank was on limp mode, found a bunch of bubbles forming in my seams randomly. Long story short, going to acrylic and have a few questions related to construction and narrowing a brand. My dimensions are super basic. 48x24x17 or even 16, going more on the shallow end.

Question 1: What thickness acrylic is sufficient for this? I don’t want it to bow, it seems 1/2” is what majority is using with bracing. Would it be worth bumping to 3/4” for overkill or a waste of money?

Question 2: I’m really leaning towards glass cages for it, they got back to me really fast, answered my questions and from the involvement and pride I see here, I feel confident this will be great, anyone have an acrylic tank from them?

Any opinions welcome

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone long time lurker, semi checked out of the hobby while my tank was on limp mode, found a bunch of bubbles forming in my seams randomly. Long story short, going to acrylic and have a few questions related to construction and narrowing a brand. My dimensions are super basic. 48x24x17 or even 16, going more on the shallow end.

Question 1: What thickness acrylic is sufficient for this? I don’t want it to bow, it seems 1/2” is what majority is using with bracing. Would it be worth bumping to 3/4” for overkill or a waste of money?

Question 2: I’m really leaning towards glass cages for it, they got back to me really fast, answered my questions and from the involvement and pride I see here, I feel confident this will be great, anyone have an acrylic tank from them?

Any opinions welcome
In my opinion 1/2 inch is more than adequate. Many companys have the thickness of their tanks posted in the description of their tanks. And a center brace wouldn't hurt either. And no, I dont have one. Im actually debating making my own tank from full sheets. Saves about half but its alot of work.

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any opinions welcome
I don't have one 1/2 inch is plenty. Just know they scratch very easily. A center brace is well worth it

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any opinions welcome
I don't have one 1/2 inch is plenty. Just know they scratch very easily. A center brace is well worth it

OP
OP
R

rexzilla_03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok perfect just wanted to make sure before I have it built, glass cages default to 1/2” as well as a few others, they said 3/4” was no problem at my request but if not necessary it saves me 350$

OP
OP
R

rexzilla_03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife hates this hobby so it’s hard to get her support, without turning this into a relationship advice group lol, she gave me a budget I have to stay fairly tight with. If the integrity of the tank would be sufficiently increased for going to 3/4” over 1/2” it will be worth it, I’m more concerned about the tank bowing as I’m not familiar with acrylic, it will be euro braced more like a lid with cut outs. It will have plenty of support I just want to make the best choice all around.

My power heads (Nero 3’s) are rated to 1/2” which will work great, if I go 3/4” unnecessarily then I have additional expenses to handle on top of that. I will spend the money for integrity if it makes logical sense too.

This tank is fairly small in terms of other builds especially being shorter (less stress). The tank it is replacing is an oddball 40x18x18 tempered glass on a canister filter and fuge lol. Just like to hear opinions to compare and sleep on, keep them coming.

OP
OP
R

rexzilla_03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is going to be euro braced to answer nereefpat, and yes I know acrylic is pretty easy to scratch, I’m ok with that, I’m familiar with refinishing these types of material and won’t be any issue, I’m pretty dang careful as is so anything I’m up against I’ll handle that.

I reached out to tenecor, advanced acrylics and few others for quotes, glass cages really seems highly passionate about what they do and customer satisfaction, I just haven’t really seen anyone with anything but glass from them is why I asked if anyone is familiar with their acrylic tanks, photos look really good however.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I got 3/4” acrylic from advanced acrylics with polished corners .

Sump is 1/2”

3/4” feels like a beast of thickness

OP
OP
R

rexzilla_03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are in good hands with Glass Cages! 1/2" is more than fine for this tank.
Was hoping one of the big fish would chime in, appreciate it! Was intrigued with acrylic years back, my glass tank getting ready to split in about 2 years reminded me why I was interested, I feel confident in glass cages. Good to know 1/2” is gonna be the move, let’s me use my existing equipment. Lol

OP
OP
R

rexzilla_03

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3/4” acrylic from advanced acrylics with polished corners .

Sump is 1/2”

3/4” feels like a beast of thickness
What size tank and how old is it? A few years ago I almost ordered one with them, I saw a few say their sump was coming apart from them but otherwise seems good. I’ve basically narrowed to them and glass cages, which I’m leaning real hard on just seeing the activity in the group from years, and prompt communication. Always like to hear as much from the relevant audience if possible.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered an acrylic tank from @Joe Glass Cages, kinda weird dimensions. Went with their 49g with the 48”x18” footprint, they said 8-12 week lead time. I think with the low height you’re doing, it shouldn’t be any problem. The one I’m getting is only 13” tall if I had it I’d let you know what it’s like, but I’m not worried at all

Was actually thrilled that they made acrylic cages too :face-with-tears-of-joy: They also had the best price, everything else was $250more for same footprint at least

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back