Acrylic tank bowing and seams looking sketch, opinions?!

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i picked up this 50g acrylic tank from a member of my local reefing group, but it is obvious that the tank is bowing a little bit probably around a 1/4' and the seams seems to have bubbles in them.

I just don't know this would be safe to have running my room as the tank is in my bedroom and wouldn't want the tank to fail and leak out in the room. What are your guys opinions on the state of this tank? Anybody had experience with a tank like this failing on them?

I've put a bunch of pictures of what the bowing looks like and what the seams are looking like right now.

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

IMG_3975.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_3976.JPG

Please any help would be great, just deciding what to do, I am just thinking that if this tank is unsafe I will probably end up going with an innovative marine 25g lagoon tank instead.

OP
OP
senorsancho

senorsancho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the input!!! Going to go with a new glass tank instead, just going to break this down and reuse the parts no worries! Just needed the second opinion lol :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think that folks overreact to these kinds of things; however, in this case that would be a big old pass or me. I put a straight edge on my acrylic 450 and there’s no bowing at all along the 8’ length and corner welds are completely clear.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes. All acrylic tanks will bow but anything more than a quarter inch would make me extremely nervous. Especially on a tank that size. Definitely some heavy crazing on the seams. It’s what I call “active” in that things are moving even if it’s very slow.

Sucks - but hey, now you’ve got a cool place to keep stuff in the garage!

I ordered what I later found out to be basically the last tank made by Tenecor back in the day. It started crazing about a week into being filled and was bowing over a quarter inch. They went out of business and I only got a fraction of the cost back. So - you’re lucky!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Acrylic will bow , but this seems excessive as are the bubbles

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back