Actinic and white light pics of acros

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought this would be a fun idea... Posting whites and blues at the same time. It'll help please both the white light crowd and the blue light crowd and can show the differences of each coral under those lights for comparison.

I know personally, I've always wanted to see a lot of the newer acros under white lights as most look great under blues but look quite ordinary under whites. Great for the blue guys but that leaves us white light guys out of the picture.

I'll do my best to represent the acro as best as I can to what I see with my own eyes under each lighting.

If you got shots of them as well, please share.

Pink Floyd
RRPinkfloyd (1 of 1).jpg

RRPinkFloydActinic (1 of 1).jpg

Atlantic Aquarium Chameleon
atlantikchameleon (1 of 1).jpg

AtlantikAquariumChameleon (1 of 1).jpg

RMF Jareds Lucky Charms
RMFluckycharms (1 of 1).jpg

RMFJaredsLuckyCharms (1 of 1).jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done. I cannot contribute since I have no blue lights (14k & 20k Halide only). I like both as long as they are represented for what they are - most people that I see get upset is when people claim that your second set of pics are under daylight... and they usually happen to be selling the piece in the photos.

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this! I don’t like looking at photos of corals under actinic. Yeah, they look fluorescent, but it’s not how they really look. I appreciate that they can look like this, but it’s not how I want to see corals.... especially if I’m considering buying them. There are certain vendors I would not consider purchasing from for this reason.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done. I cannot contribute since I have no blue lights (14k & 20k Halide only). I like both as long as they are represented for what they are - most people that I see get upset is when people claim that your second set of pics are under daylight... and they usually happen to be selling the piece in the photos.
I would agree. I do like my blue corals and I do like my white light corals. I just want to know what I'm looking at when I look at either so I can make the choice for myself. Sometimes I feel the confusion is on what is blue light or what is white light to people.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this! I don’t like looking at photos of corals under actinic. Yeah, they look fluorescent, but it’s not how they really look. I appreciate that they can look like this, but it’s not how I want to see corals.... especially if I’m considering buying them. There are certain vendors I would not consider purchasing from for this reason.
I enjoy the fluorescent colors but only at dawn and at dusk, when only my actinics are on for about an hour. The other 8 hours of viewing are under more of a 14k color so if they look drab under that light, they don't really make it to my display... no matter their name, popularity, or current market price. So me personally, the ones that only look good under blue lights just stay in my frag tank where I can enjoy them there under bluer lights.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread was meant for others to contribute their pictures too so please do! Pictures don't have to be perfect... As long as we can see the difference under white and blue lights.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly few participants. I’m one of the people who doesn’t have actinic only lighting at any point in my photoperiod. Blue and actinic t5ho bulbs don’t have quite the same zing as royal blue LEDs when it comes to the crazy colors. And I only run pure t5ho presently. Honestly. 99% of the time I think acros look better under a 12-14k spectrum than a solid blue. Obviously things like scolys, acans, zoas, and things like that will always look prettier under blue LEDs. I just don’t find the same to be true for acros. You really need that full spectrum for the chromoprotein display

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly few participants. I’m one of the people who doesn’t have actinic only lighting at any point in my photoperiod. Blue and actinic t5ho bulbs don’t have quite the same zing as royal blue LEDs when it comes to the crazy colors. And I only run pure t5ho presently. Honestly. 99% of the time I think acros look better under a 12-14k spectrum than a solid blue. Obviously things like scolys, acans, zoas, and things like that will always look prettier under blue LEDs. I just don’t find the same to be true for acros. You really need that full spectrum for the chromoprotein display

I'm definitely a 12k-14k guy too... The GE 6500k bulb really helps to balance out the Actinic bars I have on either side of my ATI fixture. I will say there are some that just look much better under actinics only, but that's not how I like to view my tank 90% of the time.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at these but never really asked what everyone was using. I love actinics and will be adding some to my setup. Hope everyone keeps this going
I'm sure it'll take some time for people to pull out the cameras and start snapping! Bring on the other pics! I'll start compiling more pictures for the thread as I go.

OP
OP
FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will play. How about this PC Rainbow. Took the white version today, the blue 2 wks ago. Pic w/ all blue also includes a blue water filter on the lens. Colors are amazing under blues and just ok under whites.

CCC_0106.jpg

CCC_0012.jpg
Great photos! And thanks for contributing. I'm sure everyone grabbed their cameras and are snapping away tonight. [emoji6]

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great initiative to encourage more honest coral pictures. IMO it's dangerous for the hobby if we only ever post actinic only shots, it starts to border on dishonest representation of what corals look like in person under normal conditions. Plus it's nice to see colors you can't see under actinics and visa-versa. I'll have to take some comparison shots today if I can remember when I get home, granted it will only be on an iPhone using a home made viewing window [emoji23]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back