Active clubs in north east Texas?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier, dfwmas.org newsletter announced Aquashella Dallas Oct 10 & 31st

heard dfwmas.org just looking for people to post there - its free - FB, COVID and Ice Storm were hard on everyone, but hope everyone reading this is bouncing back!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier, dfwmas.org newsletter announced Aquashella Dallas Oct 10 & 31st

heard dfwmas.org just looking for people to post there - its free - FB, COVID and Ice Storm were hard on everyone, but hope everyone reading this is bouncing back!
I’ll be there on the 30th!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DFWMAS was the main reef club for many years. Unfortunately it is all but dead at this point. A bunch of members jumped ship 7 or 8 years ago and it hasn't recovered. There are DFW facebook groups but they are disjointed and too many of them to keep up with.

unfortunately our local group options are as bad as our fish stores.
Hosting MACNA basically killed the club. Caused too much in fighting.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of frag swaps/shows for 2022 in DFW. DFWMAS has a swap planned March 5th. There are currently 2 Coral Farmer Market shows planned plus we will have Aquashella and Reef-a-palooza. Haven't heard anything yet, but we usually have a Texas Coral Fest swap or 2, but with all the other shows we may not have 1 this year.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but if someone wants to start a club in Dallas area or Collin county, count me in. I have an office in Richardson with a large meeting area and happy to host! - Steve
That has been tried several times over the years. They never last more than a year. No one shows up to the meetings even when they had them at LFS.

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has been tried several times over the years. They never last more than a year. No one shows up to the meetings even when they had them at LFS.
Yeah I would suspect that would be the problem.

Maybe a better idea would be host an event and get the word out and invite people. Just have a great time together and exchange contacts and such. I am sure there is really good value in knowing who might be interested in what.

I would be willing to take a chance on hosting a meeting and seeing who comes. Maybe better NOT to have a specific "club" but to have a list of like minded people.

Thoughts?

Steve

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would suspect that would be the problem.

Maybe a better idea would be host an event and get the word out and invite people. Just have a great time together and exchange contacts and such. I am sure there is really good value in knowing who might be interested in what.

I would be willing to take a chance on hosting a meeting and seeing who comes. Maybe better NOT to have a specific "club" but to have a list of like minded people.

Thoughts?

Steve

I would be down for a once a month type thing

patfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m out in the Celina area.

clubs don’t really seem like a thing out here or dfw. There are many people who are in “clicks”.

Also many people seem to get upset when you don’t buy from them or want to try and make a deal with them. Then like to talk crap all over the FB groups.

Also to be honest what I found for the area, most people buy from others in there home made shops then go to LFS. I know it’s bad but I honestly rather buy from people from their home shops then go to the LFS. I can buy a nice 2 head torch for $40-80 then go to a LFS and pay $120 or more.

LightFarmsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m out in the Celina area.

clubs don’t really seem like a thing out here or dfw. There are many people who are in “clicks”.

Also many people seem to get upset when you don’t buy from them or want to try and make a deal with them. Then like to talk crap all over the FB groups.

Also to be honest what I found for the area, most people buy from others in there home made shops then go to LFS. I know it’s bad but I honestly rather buy from people from their home shops then go to the LFS. I can buy a nice 2 head torch for $40-80 then go to a LFS and pay $120 or more.
Got any leads on some torches or candy canes? I’m in Light Farms and everything seems to either be super far or online.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back