Active clubs in north east Texas?

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Dallas North. They can order anything and they always treat me fair. They know me there so mention my name. Steve Cleary. For high end fish I go to School of Fish in DeSoto. Ask for Lee.

patfat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any leads on some torches or candy canes? I’m in Light Farms and everything seems to either be super far or online.
Yes, there’s a gentleman in little elm who I usually buy from. He’s got a set up in his shed. 4 long low boys with coral and maybe 6 or so 20/29g for fish. He actually got some Captive bread yellows in. Does actuations usually twice a week and can get some really good deals on a lot of stuff

This is the group where he usually posts everything.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread.

Fish: I love to visit LFSs, and I'm seeing a lot of small tangs in stock so can't really comment why someone isn't finding what you are seeking. Here is a list of the larger LFSs, but its not comprehensive and by no means complete list: https://www.dfwmas.org/community/sponsors/

Clubs: there are already three (four if you count Eastern on the edge of metroplex Dallas side) local saltwater aquarium fish clubs, so can't really comment on that either... and not counting DFW plant clubs in that have saltwater component...

oldest DFW saltwater fish club is Dallas Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society (dfwmas.org website and FB public and private pages), and its mission is education and helping. The other two in DFW metroplex are freshwater mainly but have active saltwater component. DFWMAS affiliates with other saltwater aquarium clubs both in DFW as well as around the country to share resources. DFWMAS currently doing zoom meetings though had an in person December Holiday Potluck, but used to have HUGE in person meetings - this old magazine article, scroll down to see: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/cs/index.php

More the merrier but perhaps one of the clubs could use your energy to make it even better. Applaud you whichever direction you take.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m out in the Celina area.

clubs don’t really seem like a thing out here or dfw. There are many people who are in “clicks”.

Also many people seem to get upset when you don’t buy from them or want to try and make a deal with them. Then like to talk crap all over the FB groups.

Also to be honest what I found for the area, most people buy from others in there home made shops then go to LFS. I know it’s bad but I honestly rather buy from people from their home shops then go to the LFS. I can buy a nice 2 head torch for $40-80 then go to a LFS and pay $120 or more.
I would love to know the home shop for this. The only time I see a "good deal" is if you get lucky on an auction. Most want just as much if not more than the LFS.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any leads on some torches or candy canes? I’m in Light Farms and everything seems to either be super far or online.
The best place in our area is Aquastudios in The Colony. Brandon will treat you right!!! All the other good stores are a long way away. You have Robert's Reef, Coral-Vault and Ocean Avenue. Coral-Vault if you want to get into the really high end stuff ($8000 Acanthophyllia).

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread.

Fish: I love to visit LFSs, and I'm seeing a lot of small tangs in stock so can't really comment why someone isn't finding what you are seeking. Here is a list of the larger LFSs, but its not comprehensive and by no means complete list: https://www.dfwmas.org/community/sponsors/

Clubs: there are already three (four if you count Eastern on the edge of metroplex Dallas side) local saltwater aquarium fish clubs, so can't really comment on that either... and not counting DFW plant clubs in that have saltwater component...

oldest DFW saltwater fish club is Dallas Fort Worth Marine Aquarium Society (dfwmas.org website and FB public and private pages), and its mission is education and helping. The other two in DFW metroplex are freshwater mainly but have active saltwater component. DFWMAS affiliates with other saltwater aquarium clubs both in DFW as well as around the country to share resources. DFWMAS currently doing zoom meetings though had an in person December Holiday Potluck, but used to have HUGE in person meetings - this old magazine article, scroll down to see: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-01/cs/index.php

More the merrier but perhaps one of the clubs could use your energy to make it even better. Applaud you whichever direction you take.
Thanks for chiming in. Yes this thread has become more interesting and I like the dialog.

First off I confess I am new to all of this. And when people say "club" or "click" there seems to be positive and negative responses. And of course the past 18 months have added lots of new challenges.

My initial idea was just to invite people in the area to my office. Offer some refreshments and get to know a few people. I have already had a couple people I have been in contact with through this forum and really appreciate that.

I realize people also have different interest. My new tank is FOWLR and I like some of the more rare species. My friend likes even more rare and has budgets much bigger than mine! :cool: . And I have an interest in knowing people who might have a fish I might be interested in and vise versa. A couple weeks ago someone offered me a great deal on a large angel from a smaller tank. I didn't adopt the angel but was glad the person thought of me because if the fish had been on my "wish list" I would have grabbed it.

So, for me, I don't really know where I will land but I am having fun and would like to meet more people who have similar interest as I have. At the least we should keep the conversation going and I hope others chime in.

Steve

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool. I'm in Denison Texas, which is 70 miles north of Dallas on I75. It's just south of the OK border. I saw that some go to Exotic Aquatics. I do as well. It's a trip but worth it. I've also gone to Dallas North Aquarium a few times.

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but if someone wants to start a club in Dallas area or Collin county, count me in. I have an office in Richardson with a large meeting area and happy to host! - Steve
I would be interested if it is close enough to Denison Texas. I'd really like to get to know other reef owners in the area.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool. I'm in Denison Texas, which is 70 miles north of Dallas on I75. It's just south of the OK border. I saw that some go to Exotic Aquatics. I do as well. It's a trip but worth it. I've also gone to Dallas North Aquarium a few times.
I guess I must be in the minority. I'm not a fan of Exotic Aquatics. Just was never impressed enough to put it on my must go to if I'm in the area list.

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I must be in the minority. I'm not a fan of Exotic Aquatics. Just was never impressed enough to put it on my must go to if I'm in the area list.
Exotic Aquatics is the closest store to me. I really like Dallas North Aquarium but it is about 15-20 miles further through toll roads. I'm new to the area and just set up my reef tank, so I'm still looking for places in Plano, Frisco, and points north towards where I live in Dennison. I'm going to give Aquastudios in The Colony that you mentioned a try.

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dallas North is my "go to" store. And School of Fish for more high end conditioned fish. I would like to check out some other large stores in the area but haven't found any yet. I willing to drive a bit.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back