Activists File Suit Against Hawaiian DLNR to Stop Aquarium Collection

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Aloha Corals, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Aloha Corals

Aloha Corals Valuable Member

Aloha,

This seems to be flying under the radar, so i wanted to be sure everyone was aware what is going on lately in Hawaii.

Anti-Aquarium Activists Sue DLNR to Stop Aquarium Collection | AquaNerd

Groups sue DLNR over fish collecting | West Hawaii Today, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Actual Complaint: http://earthjustice.org/sites/default/files/aquarium-trade-complaint.pdf (.pdf file)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal thoughts...

- Prove to me there is a problem and i will stop at once. I tend to trust the data from the DLNR over the activists.
    - If an EIS is needed for aquarium collecting, i believe we need the same for all commercial industries that use Hawaiian waters. This includes Snorkel Tours, Surfboard Rentals, Charter Fishing, Spear Fishing, Catamaran Rides on Waikiki Beach, etc...
    - Unfortunately we have no say in the matter. The suit is against the state, not us business owners.

Now the good part is that this is a court of law. They will have to prove the mis-information and skewed data they have been toting for years.

Aloha
    Kevin

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    Tags:

2. revsgirl

revsgirl Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Thanks for sharing..

3. Titus

Titus Active Member R2R Supporter

I am surprised that Snorkel Bob isn't one of the named complaintents... I guess this is not extreme enough for him. I wouldn't mind seeing Hawaii look in to implementing something like PNG with catch limits set based on regular reef surveys. It looks like this lawsuit could get things pointed in that direction, but sadly it could also take a turn much worse for the trade.

4. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Is there anything we can do?

5. z1107

z1107 Active Member

Correct if I'm wrong, but isn't it we "ornamental" fish keepers that are breeding these same fish for the purpose of not using wild caught specimens and to reintroduce species to areas where they are severely depleted?

6. Norcalreefer

Norcalreefer Active Member

what's everyone unhappy about? this will make them get better numbers on what is going on out there. As a surfer and someone that deals with the ocean in a lot more ways than my fish tank I think this is great. I agree with aloha coral that other trades should be regulated as well, but I think people are working on that too. I have a friend that is a diver and she is very passionate about educating her fellow divers about the impact they have.
    Let me put it this way. If this was your big aquaculture tank you would want to regulate what is taken out of it. If you let people just buy as much as they want you won't have coral or fish left to grow out. I think the Banggai cardinal situation is a good example of the recognition and change that we need in this industry. The ocean is not as big as a lot of people think. We need to know the numbers of what is out there and what is being taken and step up more on aquaculture coral and fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted