Actual Radion XR30w G4 Pro LED spread - or recommended question

• Thread starter User1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

U

User1

View Badges
What is the actual spread of the G4 Pro LED? Seems the literature says 32" x 32" with recommended of 24" x 24" but I'm having trouble picturing them mounted over a tank. I am considering ordering a pair for my 54" wide tank that is 30" tall and 30" deep. I don't want a lot of splash outside the tank so trying to understand what the "real" recommended spread is or if it is based on how high one mounts them and direction over tank.

Of course how well they interact with the Apex is also key I guess or if the wxm module is needed. I'm thinking two of the units is probably more than enough for a mixed reef that I have. As of today the current tank only has soft corals and a couple hammer corals and anemone's.

themcfreak

A Surfing Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 of these over my 48" 85 gallon tank. Spread evenly, so each covers 24" roughly. Any spillover doesn't seem to bother me. Also, the work great with the Apex, except you definitely need the WXM module. Once you get that, it is super easy to set up the lights how you like, or do what I did and copy a scheme from online (I use AB+ that someone else created, and it works great). As for 'actual spread' I don't have numbers, so my reply doesn't actually help you there, but based on my experience, it seems to work well for my 48" just fine (granted this build is new, so haven't had a long time to watch spread).

OP
OP
U

User1

View Badges
I use 2 of these over my 48" 85 gallon tank. Spread evenly, so each covers 24" roughly. Any spillover doesn't seem to bother me. Also, the work great with the Apex, except you definitely need the WXM module. Once you get that, it is super easy to set up the lights how you like, or do what I did and copy a scheme from online (I use AB+ that someone else created, and it works great). As for 'actual spread' I don't have numbers, so my reply doesn't actually help you there, but based on my experience, it seems to work well for my 48" just fine (granted this build is new, so haven't had a long time to watch spread).

Thanks for the information. It does help give me an idea based on the width you are working with. My tank is only 54" and had a 2" euro brace so I'm more or less focusing inside that area of the tank for penetration. One reason I was drawn to the these lights was the coral lab paper. I can always start with a pair and see how it goes then add another later if required. My tank is new and cycling anyway and the 40 breeder I am moving into it is mostly soft corals so not like I'm going to need massive amounts of light. The WXM module is the only thing I wasn't really sure of - I thought maybe the Apex built in 4 channels would work the same has the module.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back