Adapters to make hardwear pipe fit ball valves

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

I have plumbed my return line using 32mm waste pipe from screwfix (uk hardwear store).

I want to add a 32mm union ball valve to my return line but the pipe doesn't fit. I assume this is due to two different standards of measurement...

Are there adapters available to covert from one standard to the other?

Thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the USA yes. Call your stockest

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called a stockist and the guy said its not possible....but surely it is. Lots of reefers use hardwear pvc solvent weld pipe. Hopefully someone can send me a link to what I need to explain the type of adapter. Thanks!

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The union valve takes pipe with a 32mm outer diameter and standard uk waste pipe is 32mm internal diameter with a 41mm outer diameter.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you mixing water supply pipe with drain (DWV) pipe? One is pressure rated and the other isn't. The valve should fit the same size supply pipe.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you mixing water supply pipe with drain (DWV) pipe? One is pressure rated and the other isn't. The valve should fit the same size supply pipe.
The pressure im putting though it is low. 4000lph through a 32mm pvc waste pipe.. its been running 1 year with no issues.

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used waste pvc solvent weld pipe for my return so the valve doesn't fit as you say. So instead of replacing everything, I'm seeing if there is any way I can use a union ball valve on 32mm waste pipe with adapters

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure your pipe is fine but the 2 kinds of pipe are designed to not fit together on purpose so DWV pipe isnt used in water lines and to the best of my knowledge adapters aren't made for the same reason.

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought Millimeters were millimeters, no difference?
yes it is, imperial and metric are different though, you can buy things in imperial which is inches, or metric which is mm/cm.
25mm tubing is not the same as a 1 inch tubing, although a very tiny difference, you cannot marry the two without an adapter.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it is, imperial and metric are different though, you can buy things in imperial which is inches, or metric which is mm/cm.
25mm tubing is not the same as a 1 inch tubing, although a very tiny difference, you cannot marry the two without an adapter.
Yes but the OP specifically said “32 mm” on both the pipe and the valve.
So therefore there’s nothing imperial to convert to metric.

seems like the issue is that he used 2 different types of pipe and one is 32mm outside and the other is 32mm inside and that’s the issue.
unfortunately I have no idea what goes on in Europe so can’t help much.

theocorals537

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a union pipefitter snd welder , and we deal with transitioning pipe sizes all the time (normally on welded pipe). But I made a transition joint in my basement tank from Euro to us by using a glue solvent snd silicone on the joint. If the joint doesn’t hold much pressure , this is the way to go

OP
OP
Willbiker

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I may just need a metric to imperial adapter of some sort. Thanks...ill look into this

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but the OP specifically said “32 mm” on both the pipe and the valve.
So therefore there’s nothing imperial to convert to metric.

seems like the issue is that he used 2 different types of pipe and one is 32mm outside and the other is 32mm inside and that’s the issue.
unfortunately I have no idea what goes on in Europe so can’t help much.
Of which that issue is metric and imperial which i said maybe the problem.
Whether that is the reason or not it is an option to look at.
Is there a reason you keep having a go at me?
This is not the first time
Instead of keep having a go at me for offering advice maybe offer your own advice, and try helping the op with his problem.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of which that issue is metric and imperial which i said maybe the problem.
Whether that is the reason or not it is an option to look at.
Is there a reason you keep having a go at me?
This is not the first time
Instead of keep having a go at me for offering advice maybe offer your own advice, and try helping the op with his problem.
No it’s not because of metric and imperial it’s because he didn’t check that both were ID or both were OD. Imerial and metric has nothing to do here.
And, I don’t even know who you are so not sure what you’re talking about that “I’ve had a go at you”???? If me responding to something in disagreement is “having a go” then maybe, but don’t take anything personal. Nothing has been an attack or even rude

Back