Add Female Bellus to Established Male?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bonded pair of Genicanthus Bellus angels. Big, beautiful male and cute, pugnacious little female. Unfortunately, another fish came to me recently with flukes and my female Bellus died before I realized what was happening in the tank.

So now I have my male Bellus and no female. I’d like to get him a new lady.

My plan is to get a nice female and introduce her to the tank in an acclimation box.

Any advice on how to make this introduction go well? Is it even an OK idea?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's likely going to depend a great deal on the temperment of your male. 2 or 3 females might be a better choice. Irregardless if you just try one or more you'll need ot be ready to rehome someone if things don't go well.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve heard some horror stories about pairing, both with existing males and where one transitioned.

When I paired my old G. semifasciatus pair, I kept the new female in her acclimation box for a week to gauge the resident female’s reaction. The larger female immediate took interest, wasn’t overtly aggressive but really wanted to get as close as possible, lots of tail flicking and shivering. Took a couple days for her to calm down and start ignoring the new female, then I introduced.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard some horror stories about pairing, both with existing males and where one transitioned.

When I paired my old G. semifasciatus pair, I kept the new female in her acclimation box for a week to gauge the resident female’s reaction. The larger female immediate took interest, wasn’t overtly aggressive but really wanted to get as close as possible, lots of tail flicking and shivering. Took a couple days for her to calm down and start ignoring the new female, then I introduced.
So you successfully introduced a new one to an existing? I have no problem keeping the new female in an acclimation box. Think it could work introducing her to an existing male?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you successfully introduced a new one to an existing? I have no problem keeping the new female in an acclimation box. Think it could work introducing her to an existing male?

My first G. semifasciatus was with me for almost 4 years before adding the second, but was still a female. He remained very peaceful after transitioning though, and no aggression towards the new female.

Of course, YMMV with your Bellus male, which is why the observation period in the acclimation box is probably the safest route. I’ve read stories where an existing male waged all out war on a new female, and, others where the same happened with an existing duo when the larger female started transitioning (I think most of these stories were about Watanabes though).

I currently have a G. caudovittatus and added a Multicolor. The caudovittatus made the dwarf’s first evening pretty nightmarish, but all seemed to calm down by the next morning. They do quarrel occasionally, but no more than 1-2 seconds when it happens (and the Multicolor can hold his own).

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first G. semifasciatus was with me for almost 4 years before adding the second, but was still a female. He remained very peaceful after transitioning though, and no aggression towards the new female.

Of course, YMMV with your Bellus male, which is why the observation period in the acclimation box is probably the safest route. I’ve read stories where an existing male waged all out war on a new female, and, others where the same happened with an existing duo when the larger female started transitioning (I think most of these stories were about Watanabes though).

I currently have a G. caudovittatus and added a Multicolor. The caudovittatus made the dwarf’s first evening pretty nightmarish, but all seemed to calm down by the next morning. They do quarrel occasionally, but no more than 1-2 seconds when it happens (and the Multicolor can hold his own).
Thanks. My male G. Bellus has generally been pretty chill. He certainly holds his space with my tangs, and would occasionally chase the female Bellus when I had here, but I would not call him an aggressive fish.

I’ll plan to keep the new female in the acclimation box until (a) I’m sure it’s safe to release her or (b) it’s clear the male will not accept her in which case I’ll rehome her locally.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As good a plan as any. Hopefully he’ll be as chill with the new female as the older.

Good luck and keep us posted!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back