Add just soda ash to raise alkalinity?

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after testing my water today i noticed that my alkalinity is at 7.1. To my surprise my Calcium is up at 577. Would it be ok to use soda ash to raise the alkalinity to let's say 9? I also heard that if increase my alkalinity calcium will go down?

My parameters are:

Phosphate: 0,00 (i'm working on getting this up a bit)
Calcium: 577
Alkalinity: 7.1
pH: 7,43 (Way to low and i'm trying to figure out why)
Nitrate: Not tested, but a month ago it was at 3.43 for what it's worth.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is fine. So is baking soda.

The pH is not likely accurate.
Thank you! Then i will add soda ash slowly over a few days until i reach my target.

And yes i think something is fishy with my pH (using a Seneye). Or maybe it's my seneye that is fishy :)

I tried the following:

1. Tested newly made saltwater - pretty much the same as in my tank. According to my city's water thingy department the water should be around 8.3. Not sure how accurate that is. Might fluctuate?
  2. Aerated 10 litres of new saltwater next to my tank. Same pH.
  3. Aerated 10 litres of tank water next to my tank. Same pH.
  4. Been using my skimmer with a hose outside my window for the past two weeks. Lots of air. No change i think.
  5. Tested with soda ash (10 grams a time) on two occasions, and i think i got an increase of 0.04.
  6. I have added one more wave pump in my aquarium. Not a big one but still. I have three now running at 80%. Return pump is at 60%. Got two smaller pumps in my sump as well.
What i will do next it to get chaeto for my sump. Had some bad luck with it before. If i'm lucky it will raise my pH some. I could get another pH tester e.g Hanna because i'm starting to doubt my Seneye. I suppose i could take 10 litres of tank water and aerate it on my balcony to see if it's a circulation problem? I read your article and if i remember correctly it's pretty difficult to get that Co2 out of my water.

What's funny about my Seneye is that when i have changed the slide in it it will show 8 pH for a week. And then it just plumits to like 7.4? I dunno what to make of all this....pic below is from 6 months of Seneye use. Any ideas are most welcome :)
6months.png

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Then i will add soda ash slowly over a few days until i reach my target.

And yes i think something is fishy with my pH (using a Seneye). Or maybe it's my seneye that is fishy :)

I tried the following:

1. Tested newly made saltwater - pretty much the same as in my tank. According to my city's water thingy department the water should be around 8.3. Not sure how accurate that is. Might fluctuate?
  2. Aerated 10 litres of new saltwater next to my tank. Same pH.
  3. Aerated 10 litres of tank water next to my tank. Same pH.
  4. Been using my skimmer with a hose outside my window for the past two weeks. Lots of air. No change i think.
  5. Tested with soda ash (10 grams a time) on two occasions, and i think i got an increase of 0.04.
  6. I have added one more wave pump in my aquarium. Not a big one but still. I have three now running at 80%. Return pump is at 60%. Got two smaller pumps in my sump as well.
What i will do next it to get chaeto for my sump. Had some bad luck with it before. If i'm lucky it will raise my pH some. I could get another pH tester e.g Hanna because i'm starting to doubt my Seneye. I suppose i could take 10 litres of tank water and aerate it on my balcony to see if it's a circulation problem? I read your article and if i remember correctly it's pretty difficult to get that Co2 out of my water.

What's funny about my Seneye is that when i have changed the slide in it it will show 8 pH for a week. And then it just plumits to like 7.4? I dunno what to make of all this....pic below is from 6 months of Seneye use. Any ideas are most welcome :)
6months.png
I've also experienced issues with Seneye PH drifting downwards. I started with the Seneye but now use an APEX and don't have those issues.

OP
OP
Jonas Bergkvist

Jonas Bergkvist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also experienced issues with Seneye PH drifting downwards. I started with the Seneye but now use an APEX and don't have those issues.
Good to know, maybe one day i’ll buy an Apex. It’s pretty expensive but probably worth it. Cool part about Apex is that you can buy modules for it i mainly got the Seneye for the PAR meter.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back