Added some tigger pods a week or so ago

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dumped a bottle of reef nutrition tigger pods in the display about a week back. I don't think I have anything that would eat them yet do I?

Clowns
YWG
Pistol Shrimp
Fire fish
Urchin
Hermits/snails

Just wanted them for the biodiversity. I don't have a fuge, but I'd think they'd have plenty of places to hide and reproduce in the rocks. Haven't seen any in a while though. Anyone know what the doubling time is on a pod population?

Should I be specifically feeding them with phyto, or should there be enough for them to eat and grow without adding anything? I am starting to get some, what looks like, bright green hair algae.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feeding with phyto will help them reproduce faster, they can eat other things, but phyto is the best food source for them. Personally, I never see tigger pods in my tank, I culture them so I add them to my tank monthly, but they don't seem to reproduce in a reef tank. Apocyclops and tisbe pods do better in reef tanks in my opinion.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feeding with phyto will help them reproduce faster, they can eat other things, but phyto is the best food source for them. Personally, I never see tigger pods in my tank, I culture them so I add them to my tank monthly, but they don't seem to reproduce in a reef tank. Apocyclops and tisbe pods do better in reef tanks in my opinion.
Bummer. Without something that would specifically need them for food yet, culturing didn't seem worth it. Hoped I could just get a pop going in the DT. No corals yet so dosing phyto seemed like overkill too.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most any fish will eat tig pods.

Tig pods don't seem to reproduce in reef tanks, despite being very easy to grow in a seperate culture. I dunno why for sure but the theory I've heard is that they are just too big/orange/easy to see and also apparently very tasty so adults get eaten quickly.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dumped a couple bottles of pods in my DT while it was fallow for ICH.
Figured being fishless, would give the pods a chance to get established.
Now, several weeks later, if I place a light next to the tank at night, loads of pods come out and start swimming in the water column. Not sure how long they will last once I reintroduce fish into the tank, but they are able to maintain a nice population while the tank is fallow.

OP
OP
L

Lukeluke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Aside from the YWG and shrimp that hang out in the lower right quadrant, rarely far from their home rock, I never see the others on the right half of the tank. And never see them pecking at the rocks. Thought they'd be left alone enough with that much space to themselves. :) But if they're hunting the other end of the tank when I'm not looking, guess they could all be eaten.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back