Adding 20g frag tank to main display sump??

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm considering adding a 20 gallon frag tank to my main tank. Will be feeding the frag tank off the manifold and adding a filter for the 20g frag tank to drain back in to the sump. The ??? Is will this cause any algae blooms or any adverse reactions to my main system? My total water volume on the main tanks system is 80 gallons and thats including the sump. Any feed back or advice will be greatly appreciated.

20200928_211631.jpg

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm considering adding a 20 gallon frag tank to my main tank. Will be feeding the frag tank off the manifold and adding a filter for the 20g frag tank to drain back in to the sump. The ??? Is will this cause any algae blooms or any adverse reactions to my main system? My total water volume on the main tanks system is 80 gallons and thats including the sump. Any feed back or advice will be greatly appreciated.

20200928_211631.jpg
You shouldn't cause any issues to the main system by doing this. You can definitely feet the frag tank off of the manifold. I'm a little confused about the "adding a filter for the 20g frag tank to drain back in to the sump" though. I would just plumb the drain pipe directly into your pre-existing sump and filter the two tanks off of the same sump.

The main thing to watch out for is to make sure that your sump doesn't overflow when power goes out, with the added volume of the frag tank.

OP
OP
ChuckTownReefer

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't cause any issues to the main system by doing this. You can definitely feet the frag tank off of the manifold. I'm a little confused about the "adding a filter for the 20g frag tank to drain back in to the sump" though. I would just plumb the drain pipe directly into your pre-existing sump and filter the two tanks off of the same sump.

The main thing to watch out for is to make sure that your sump doesn't overflow when power goes out, with the added volume of the frag tank.

My sump only has 1 return so I'm putting one of those hang on filter sock holders in my main sump and the frag tank will drain into it. Do you get what im saying?

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump only has 1 return so I'm putting one of those hang on filter sock holders in my main sump and the frag tank will drain into it. Do you get what im saying?
Ah! That makes sense

Adnanagha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gal dt and a 30 gal sump I wanna add another 30 gallon tank for pipe fish or odd looking fish but I really don’t know how to do the plumbing for it

Bxr126

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly this about a year ago and I have had no issues. I wasn't able to run the overflow line from the frag tank into a sock it just runs straight into the sump. That hasn't really been an issue. feel free to message me if you run into any snags.

Adnanagha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any tutorials or any setups out there I can look at as a guide I have a extra 25 gal I wanna add to my 120 gal+30 gal refugium system

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back