Adding a “NOT REEF SAFE” fish to your reef?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many wonderful looking reef systems that have what is considered “ not reef safe” fish in those systems.

My thought is to add perhaps an angel fish later in my tanks life so that the corals have plenty of time to grow in before putting in a “not reef safe” fish in.

FWIW, I would add a scribble or emperor angel.

Those of you that have these fish in your reef, when did you add it and how have things been going since you put in the fish?

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe with caution is debatable. In my opinion, I think you would have more fun lighting $100 dollar bills on fire than adding an Emperor.
1590428221131.gif

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe with caution is debatable. In my opinion, I think you would have more fun lighting $100 dollar bills on fire than adding an Emperor.
1590428221131.gif
I’ve seen several mature beautiful tanks with them and or other angels. So it’s not impossible.

for instance:

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an adult emperor and a queen in my reef. Predominately sps tank. They have never touched any acros BUT fleshy lps is another story.... my emperor nibbled my lobos and trachy where I had to remove those corals from my tank. He also decided that my bright yellow Fiji leather looked good and started to eat that too till it died. It hasn't touched my giant green toadstool, Duncan colony, yumas, or nems at all. So it really depends on what you want to keep in there. I have no plans on rehoming them due to corals.

I have had them for a few years now and he first nibbled on the logos about 6 months in.

I have a flame angel as well which has been a model citizen.

so yes you can keep these type of fish in a reef but just be careful what type of coral they are housed with.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back