Adding a fish to QT after copper already in

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how risky it would be to add a yellow tang to a QT that has copper power already at 2.4? Reason I ask is because I just finished tearing a tank apart to catch a Niger that started munching on all my softies. The store I'm taking to has a really nice yellow tank I would like to get. I have a yellow in QT now but copper has reached therapeutic level but only 2 days ago so I would like to add it and just reset the timer. Is this a bad idea to add it when copper is already in?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering how risky it would be to add a yellow tang to a QT that has copper power already at 2.4? Reason I ask is because I just finished tearing a tank apart to catch a Niger that started munching on all my softies. The store I'm taking to has a really nice yellow tank I would like to get. I have a yellow in QT now but copper has reached therapeutic level but only 2 days ago so I would like to add it and just reset the timer. Is this a bad idea to add it when copper is already in?
That isn't an issue since you are resetting the timer. Dealers get fish and put them right into full coppersafe or copper power all of the time. However, two YT in the same QT may fight.

Jay

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn't an issue since you are resetting the timer. Dealers get fish and put them right into full coppersafe or copper power all of the time. However, two YT in the same QT may fight.

Jay
Thanks Jay. That's what I was hoping but wanted to make sure. QT is a
30 gallon long so I can divide it with eggcrate if needed. Will probably do it just to be safe.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The QT - needs to be reset - just so you understand - i.e. - the fish in the Qt start again at day 1. The usual recommendation is not to QT multiple groups of fish together - or you will result the first fish having more of a total copper/etc dose.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The QT - needs to be reset - just so you understand - i.e. - the fish in the Qt start again at day 1. The usual recommendation is not to QT multiple groups of fish together - or you will result the first fish having more of a total copper/etc dose.
The current resident in QT has only been at full copper for 2 days and I am resetting the clock.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked him up last night, the one on the left. Both seem to be doing well. Spending quite a bit of time checking each other out through the egg crate. Both are eating well.
20221015_113758.jpg

For anyone wondering I used old plastic dog dishes for caves because the first tang didn't seem to like the bright white pvc fittings I had in there. The canning jars are required to keep the dishes from floating. Looks bad but the first tang immediately went into the black dish when it wouldn't go inside the white pvc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful coloration!

Do you have an air pump running in there?
I do not have a stone. I have a aquaclear 110 hob filter that creates a lot of surface agitation and powerhead up high aimed at the surface. Do you think I should add an air stone also? I do have pumps and stuff in the basement

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a stone. I have a aquaclear 110 hob filter that creates a lot of surface agitation and powerhead up high aimed at the surface. Do you think I should add an air stone also? I do have pumps and stuff in the basement
I don't know if you Should. I personally Do run at least one stone in every tank under copper or Prazi. I can't say that I've noticed a difference vs just the hob but the piece of mind of Max aeration in an O2 thin environment is worth it to me.

Back