Adding a full grown Sailfin tang with existing smaller tangs in a 180

darinsmall86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a monster Sailfin and foxface yesterday from a local guy that was moving today and was desperate to move them. Currently have a smaller blue and yellow tang in my 180. What’s your thoughts on adding the full grown to the mix. The new fish are currently in my qt tanks.

Ribo15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with adding any fish it’s always a gamble. My yellow and sailfin like to battle it out once in a while nothing serious just mild little shows of dominance. They are both roughly 5” though. If your small yellow isn’t bullied too bad by the sailfin and they have plenty of rock work to hide in they should be okay. But like I said every fish’s temperament is different. When the yellow gets larger and more dominant you may have issues arrive. I’ve never had a foxface but I believe of those fish listed he’s most likely going to be boss.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I've had to rehome was a sailfin. Was an absolute bully to every other fish.
There's a sticky thread from @4FordFamily that has a great deal of knowledge about tangs and aggression.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with adding any fish it’s always a gamble. My yellow and sailfin like to battle it out once in a while nothing serious just mild little shows of dominance. They are both roughly 5” though. If your small yellow isn’t bullied too bad by the sailfin and they have plenty of rock work to hide in they should be okay. But like I said every fish’s temperament is different. When the yellow gets larger and more dominant you may have issues arrive. I’ve never had a foxface but I believe of those fish listed he’s most likely going to be boss.

I think most foxfaces are generally left alone because of the spines but not the tank boss. I know ours was stressed to no end by the former sailfin.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only fish I've had to rehome was a sailfin. Was an absolute bully to every other fish.
There's a sticky thread from @4FordFamily that has a great deal of knowledge about tangs and aggression.
:)

To the op, since the others are incumbent, it increases your odds. It is always a gamble, and IME sailfin aren’t overly aggressive but each is an individual — especially with size differential it could go either way.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

To the op, since the others are incumbent, it increases your odds. It is always a gamble, and IME sailfin aren’t overly aggressive but each is an individual — especially with size differential it could go either way.

Speaking of tangs... had someone offer to trade me corals for one of my yellows. I politely declined lol. No idea how hard it would be to wind up with 2 yellows living together fine and not killing each other on top of when I could get then again with the ban now.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME sailfin aren’t overly aggressive but each is an individual

I have also found this to be true. My current 8" desjardini basically ignores (and is ignored by) the other tangs. Gets pestered by my cleaner wrasse and hates my arm but a good fish.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also found this to be true. My current 8" desjardini basically ignores (and is ignored by) the other tangs. Gets pestered by my cleaner wrasse and hates my arm but a good fish.

I wish our Desjardini hadn't been such a bully. Such a pretty and interesting fish. Maybe it was partly because when we added him it was him and the foxface as the only bigger fish but he turned into the tank boss in a bad way. Our foxface had a noticeable personality improvement when we rehomed the sailfin.
I'd like to try again one day but we'd have to probably have a bigger tank. I think we are maxed out on tangs or other large fish lol.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to try again one day but we'd have to probably have a bigger tank. I think we are maxed out on tangs or other large fish lol.

I know the feeling!!!! Sailfin behaves a lot better with space. I've had mine in a 265 and now a 450, so plenty of swimming room.

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Dej sailfin, yellow, purple and Achilles added another dej there was no issues sadly I lost one when I had my house fire. But now have dej sailfin, yellow, purple, Achilles and added a powder blue after the fire I have no issues

IMG_20200921_180642009.jpg

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling!!!! Sailfin behaves a lot better with space. I've had mine in a 265 and now a 450, so plenty of swimming room.

Well the wife picked a vlaminigi when she had the opportunity and I know in a couple years when it outgrows the 180, there is no way she will want to get rid of him so maybe an upgrade can happen.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back