Adding a Maroon to a nano tank with other clowns

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there.

I'm new to the forum. Hope to learn a lot here!

Currently I am downsizing a 75 gallon(20g sump) garage tank to a Fiji Cube 32 gallon AIO in the living room. The 75 Gallon is mostly soft corals, and I only have a Maroon clown(3-4") in there.

My new fijicube 32G aio has already been cycled and I've added 2 small naked clowns(~1.5 inch). I was thinking to eventually move the maroon into the 32G with the 2 naked clowns once they get bigger.

Is it advisable to move the maroon clown with the smaller naked clowns? I've read in other threads that the maroon could kill other smaller clowns, but in this case the maroon will be introduced after the naked clowns, and it will be 2 vs 1.

Thanks

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it advisable to move the maroon clown with the smaller naked clowns? I've read in other threads that the maroon could kill other smaller clowns, but in this case the maroon will be introduced after the naked clowns, and it will be 2 vs 1.
Yeah it'll probably still end in injuries or death in one or both parties. Could be the maroon causing damage, or the two naked clowns causing damage. At this point I've only ever had (a lot of) success with two individuals of different species cohabiting, but not three. Seems like with two, they 'have no choice' but to kinda pair up. With three, especially with a choice, that doesn't seem to happen.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My other plan was to re-home the maroon or give it to LFS. was trying to avoid this path since I've had the maroon from a baby 4 years ago and grown quite attached.
Would it be also problematic if I introduce another pair of clown(regular osc of similar size 1.5") with the naked clowns? After having the naked for a couple of weeks they look pretty boring by themselves.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My other plan was to re-home the maroon or give it to LFS. was trying to avoid this path since I've had the maroon from a baby 4 years ago and grown quite attached.
Would it be also problematic if I introduce another pair of clown(regular osc of similar size 1.5") with the naked clowns? After having the naked for a couple of weeks they look pretty boring by themselves.
In the 32 gallons, yeah probably gonna be more problematic.

You can always try to add the maroon and hope for the best. Lol if it was me I'd be too attached to the maroon to let it go. I'd totes be ready to risk it in this case.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried adding a third in my 90 gallon and it didn't last 10 minutes. Just my personal experience

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the 32 gallons, yeah probably gonna be more problematic.

You can always try to add the maroon and hope for the best. Lol if it was me I'd be too attached to the maroon to let it go. I'd totes be ready to risk it in this case.

Cool. think I'll try putting him in a cage in the aio and watch their interaction first before releasing him into the tank. I'm worried once I release him I won't be able to catch him without making a mess

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do it you’re asking for trouble!

Maroons are mean and aggressive and she will likely kill both your other clowns. Even if it’s not an instant battle she’ll one day attack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered adding a plexiglass divider in the tank?
I would probably prefer giving the fish away rather than adding a divider. Since it's a living room tank I want it to look nice;). Plus I already spent too much time on the aquascape. If it wasn't AIO I would put him in the sump

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably prefer giving the fish away rather than adding a divider. Since it's a living room tank I want it to look nice;). Plus I already spent too much time on the aquascape. If it wasn't AIO I would put him in the sump
Make a sump for your AIO! :D Lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back