Adding a second fish to my blue tang qt (10G)

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before you freak out, this is a pretty small sized tang.

She came from literally a 5 gallon section of a petco tank. Seems to be doing great on day 3.

Within 3-4 weeks I want to move her and some other fish to a 50 G setup for about 6 months of observation etc before I put them in a larger tank I will set up.

Can I add another fish for this QT process? I am planning on starting copper treatment slowly during the weekend.

Ideally in my 50 gallon I want 4 fish. One clown, one baby yellow tang, one blue tang, and some type of goby.

Would it be okay to add a clown to this tank? There is already a piece of established live rock, and a good set of bioballs in the filter system.

For water changes I have a large 50 gallon barrel of the same ph/same salinity water always heated in my garage and I plan on doing 1-2 gallon changes every 3 days.

IMG_6894.jpg

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With adding any fish to a QT tank you should start the process over. Especially with Tangs. Unless you do extended treatments for a longer period. Mainly for ich. As for QT tank size 10g is a bit small for any sized tang.

Personally I wouldn't stress two tangs out in a 50 gallon. Most likely won't end up well. You could pull off one until the tang outgrows the tanks.

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With adding any fish to a QT tank you should start the process over. Especially with Tangs. Unless you do extended treatments for a longer period. Mainly for ich. As for QT tank size 10g is a bit small for any sized tang.

Personally I wouldn't stress two tangs out in a 50 gallon. Most likely won't end up well. You could pull off one until the tang outgrows the tanks.
What about adding another fish to the qt tank? Like a sand sifting goby etc?

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have rock in any QT i intended to dose with copper. And I agree that's probably too many fish even to QT. I QT a hippo in a 10 gallon a few years back, but he was small and by himself.

OP
OP
kingkapoor

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have rock in any QT i intended to dose with copper. And I agree that's probably too many fish even to QT. I QT a hippo in a 10 gallon a few years back, but he was small and by himself.

Thanks, its always a back and forth if I should or shouldnt have rock. I agree with no rock

Questions:
1) How long did you qt your hippo and did you do copper? I was planning on 3 week qt with copper starting the 2nd week.
2) How often did you water change for your tang?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone will have a different opinion on this but if your blue tang doesn’t show any signs of illness including not scratching against rock or other surfaces, I would just observe for 3 weeks. If it does show signs of parasites the it is recommended that you go thru 3 wks for white spot and 30 says for velvet. Good luck.

thaistalyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, its always a back and forth if I should or shouldnt have rock. I agree with no rock

Questions:
1) How long did you qt your hippo and did you do copper? I was planning on 3 week qt with copper starting the 2nd week.
2) How often did you water change for your tang?
I QT'd a small blue hippo (about 3in) and small black clown (2in) together in a 10 gallon.

Total of 4 weeks in .5 copper (cupramine). Tank was pre-cycled. Only 2 water changes. I treated with general cure during week 2 and again week 3 with 50% water change between. Then a water change at week 4. After week 4 carbon, polysorb and cuprisorb for 1 week while I observed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 80 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back