Adding a six line wrasse to a 250gal with koi wrasse

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I have a 250 gal mature system, and currently have a Koi / Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) in there.
I was considering adding a six line wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia) to this and wondering if the two wrasses will get along, or will be there be warfare?

other inhabitants are:
5x chromis
4x anthias
1x lamarck angel
1x Dsjardini tang
1x orange shoulder tang
2x clowns
1x snowflake blenny

DT is 4 1/2 ft long, 3ft high, 2 1/2 back to front.

LR is live from 2007, current tank from 2018.
image.jpg

Last edited:

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never add a six line wrasse to any tank again. Mine turned into a bully after 6 months, and he was very difficult to catch. He especially hated any new wrasses.

Your experience may vary though.

OP
OP
DxMarinefish

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks @BlennyTime and @Crabby48

I have a pest issue with my acros, but because I have a 3 ft deep tank its almost Impossible to take them all out and dip. Even if i did i can't believe that the pests still won't be in the tank.

I had a six line up to last year march when due to the DT leaking i had to remove and reseal. It sadly jumped and died while in the holding tank. the one I had waist the DT for over 3 yrs and never bothered anyone.

Aggression could be a personality thing or scarcity of food. Not sure.

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scarlet pinstripe wrasse, it is from the same family as the six line but it doesnt appear as aggressive or territorial from my experience. It is even friendly with my yellow coris wrasse, which could be a target for aggression.
Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse

OP
OP
DxMarinefish

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scarlet pinstripe wrasse, it is from the same family as the six line but it doesnt appear as aggressive or territorial from my experience. It is even friendly with my yellow coris wrasse, which could be a target for aggression.
Thats a fantastic suggestion.
I will see if my LFS have one.

Thanks

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chrille26 , wold you say it is this fish:
Pyjama Wrasse: Pinstripe
That's a different fish from the one Chrille26 posted. The fish in the link is a pink-steaked wrasse (pseudocheilinops ataenia) it's a great wrasse, but it only gets about 2.5 inches so you may never see it in a tank your size with all that coral.

If you don't want to deal with any potential warfare then avoid wrasses from the Pseudocheilinus genus (six lines and their relatives).

It looks like you have a sand bed so you may want to consider a few good options from the Halichoeres genus for pest control like H. Melanurus, H. Chrysus and H. Biocellatus. They'll mix well with your current fish. My H. Biocellatus scans every nook and cranny of my rock and corals all day long helping to keep my corals pest free.

OP
OP
DxMarinefish

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a different fish from the one Chrille26 posted. The fish in the link is a pink-steaked wrasse (pseudocheilinops ataenia) it's a great wrasse, but it only gets about 2.5 inches so you may never see it in a tank your size with all that coral.

If you don't want to deal with any potential warfare then avoid wrasses from the Pseudocheilinus genus (six lines and their relatives).

It looks like you have a sand bed so you may want to consider a few good options from the Halichoeres genus for pest control like H. Melanurus, H. Chrysus and H. Biocellatus. They'll mix well with your current fish. My H. Biocellatus scans every nook and cranny of my rock and corals all day long helping to keep my corals pest free.
Thanks, I will investigate these options.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pinstripe Wrasse are beautiful. I had one for some time along with a McCoskers. One day it decided it didn't like the McCoskers and killed it . Then it killed one of 3 damsels. And then it killed a Lantern Basslet that it seemed to get along with fine. It was trapped and sold to the LFS to rehome.

My 6-line wrasse was a model citizen until I added a Red Head Solon Wrasse. The Red Head was beautiful too, but the 6-line wreaked havoc on that. Both are gone now.

So many peaceful wrasses, I will stay away from these now.

OP
OP
DxMarinefish

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pinstripe Wrasse are beautiful. I had one for some time along with a McCoskers. One day it decided it didn't like the McCoskers and killed it . Then it killed one of 3 damsels. And then it killed a Lantern Basslet that it seemed to get along with fine. It was trapped and sold to the LFS to rehome.

My 6-line wrasse was a model citizen until I added a Red Head Solon Wrasse. The Red Head was beautiful too, but the 6-line wreaked havoc on that. Both are gone now.

So many peaceful wrasses, I will stay away from these now.
A wrasse killing a Damsel..I hear so many stories about these beauties turning into little terrors.
Still doesn’t put me off though.

OP
OP
DxMarinefish

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of these aforementioned wrasse eat feather dusters or Christmas tree worms? These are my pride and joy so nothing goes in that will feed on them.

I know the six line and Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis) I currently have do not.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back