Adding an Exquisite Fairy and Carpenter’s Wrasse?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’m thinking of adding an Exquisite Fairy and a Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse to a 120G reef tank. Couple of questions for this knowledgeable group.

1. Will they be able to get along and can I add them to the thank at the same time?

2. I know they are “Reef safe” but I have a Maxima clam, couple of feather dusters, and a BTA along with some corals. Will these be okay?

Thanks!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Exquisite wrasse in with a McCosker's flasher (very similar to a Carpenters I believe). Originally they were in a 75 gal and did ok, there was some sparring at first but it settled down after a couple days. I did use an acclimation box when adding the McCoskers to the established Exquisite. Now they are in my 180gal tank together and ignore each other for the most part.

ETA: neither of them give the inverts a single look (snails, crabs, several types of 'nems including a BTA and a Maxima clam).

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues with your inverts at all.

Should be no issues between the fish either, but using a social acclimation box for a few days is always a good idea when mixing wrasses

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny i have the same combo coming in this saturday. If i see anything in qt ill holler at you!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned there might be some squabbling initially but they should settle in (provided they are added at the same time or close to the same time).

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny i have the same combo coming in this saturday. If i see anything in qt ill holler at you!
@Tplummer wondering if you have any updates on your exquisite fairy and carpenters flasher wrasses. Hope they’re doing well.

Tplummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tplummer wondering if you have any updates on your exquisite fairy and carpenters flasher wrasses. Hope they’re doing well.
yes! So far so good! They are halfway through the ramp up on copper so it will take a little more time to tell how sensitive they are to it. In terms of compatibility i would say they worked out some small differences in about one to two days. They danced a little with the carpenter being much bolder than the exquisite wrasse. One the exquisite wrasse got used to him, he now comes out more and seems to be acting a lot more natural. I think these two fish will work very well with one another so dont sweat it. Not sure about coral or claim issues but my experience although limited is that wrasses are good to go with corals. Puttingg them in at the same time is a great idea btw. They are awesome fish so far. Very nice looking. Thanks for reminding me to get back with you. Ill let you know if i see anytiing you should look out for.

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes! So far so good! They are halfway through the ramp up on copper so it will take a little more time to tell how sensitive they are to it. In terms of compatibility i would say they worked out some small differences in about one to two days. They danced a little with the carpenter being much bolder than the exquisite wrasse. One the exquisite wrasse got used to him, he now comes out more and seems to be acting a lot more natural. I think these two fish will work very well with one another so dont sweat it. Not sure about coral or claim issues but my experience although limited is that wrasses are good to go with corals. Puttingg them in at the same time is a great idea btw. They are awesome fish so far. Very nice looking. Thanks for reminding me to get back with you. Ill let you know if i see anytiing you should look out for.
Thanks so much for the update! I’m sure I’ll big you at least one more time. Fingers crossed that all goes well for you

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is probably big enough for both. There maybe some chasing but I don't think it's going to be anything serious.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should do fine with each other, no problem.

CarpenterFlasher2016010601.jpg ExquisiteFairyWrasse2019062401.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back