Adding BRS Pro Series DI Resin to upgrade your RODI filtration | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2Reefers!

Today we've got a full breakdown of the BRS Pro Series DI Resin and how you can implement them on your specific water source. In this video, Ryan breaks down how the resins work, what to expect when using them and configurations for some common water sources.

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using mixed bed, separate anion and cation was the only way we could get our TDS to zero. Your full review of the hows and whys behind it made me rethink our TDS issue, and was super helpful. Thanks to BRS for doing this research!

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been researching this since seeing something about it in Terence's epic build thread. My ATI send in testing showed high silicates. I already have 3 DI cartridges on my system. Is there any downside?

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go through way more resin than I care to. I've got the 4 stage 150 gpd brs unit and my pressure is usually 50-62 psi, depending on the time of the day and what not. I know that pressure is an issue but would I be better served buying the booster pump kit or switching to the three stage pro series?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go through way more resin than I care to. I've got the 4 stage 150 gpd brs unit and my pressure is usually 50-62 psi, depending on the time of the day and what not. I know that pressure is an issue but would I be better served buying the booster pump kit or switching to the three stage pro series?

I think both have value in producing less DI consumption overall. Increasing pressure can lead to better performance from the RO membrane which in turn can save your DI resin from working harder to remove what the RO membrane allowed through. At the same time, depending on the specific makeup of your water changing your DI approach may be of some benefit as well. You could always start with one approach and combine them if necessary down the road. Personally I'd start with a boost in pressure and monitor for a few months, and if there isn't as much improvement as I had hoped for, start entertaining the idea of a different DI resin combination.

-Randy

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this setup running since 10/2017. The mixed bed shows no color change at all. The single bed cation resin shows almost no color change at all (just a few beads at the bottom that were caught in the threads started to change). The single bed anion resin is almost 3/4 depleted. At this rate, I might not have to replace the cation or mixed bed resins for many years, literally. The anion resin looks like it might be a 9-12 month replacement schedule. So all in all, purchasing another canister and the single beds was well worth it in my tank.

The only caveat is the anion resin definitely does fluidize as the beads shrink. When you fill the canister with the anion resin, use as little as possible to get the job done and save the rest (you can use an iron to re-seal the BRS DI resin packs). When the beads shrink and the anion resin starts to fluidize, use the extra to fill it up again.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back