Adding Chevron Tang to 220g with Other Tangs??

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a Chevron tang to an existing 220g tank that already has a yellow belly blue tang, a desjardini sailfin tang and a tomini tang. What do you guys think? I know there's always the change of aggression, but since they're all from different families... The Chevron will be smaller than the existing tangs.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chevron's are the second least aggressive tang I've ever kept. The only one he ever bothered was a Naso who was actually much larger. I had my Chevron for over 7 years. As you say there is a chance of aggression but I wouldn't particularly worry about it from a Chevron.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chevron's are the second least aggressive tang I've ever kept. The only one he ever bothered was a Naso who was actually much larger. I had my Chevron for over 7 years. As you say there is a chance of aggression but I wouldn't particularly worry about it from a Chevron.

Do you think I'll have an issue with the other tangs bullying him more than typical tang aggression or you think I should be good?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably initially, but I don't see any reason to be particularly concerned. I'm trying to remember all the different tangs I kept with the Chevron. Later as an adult it was an Achilles - who did beat him up pretty bad initially but 100% recovered within a week or so and then no more serious aggression and the Naso I already mentioned. Other then that, I want to say I had at different times a purple and a powdered brown but those 2 are going back a long time when the Chevron was still small.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably initially, but I don't see any reason to be particularly concerned. I'm trying to remember all the different tangs I kept with the Chevron. Later as an adult it was an Achilles - who did beat him up pretty bad initially but 100% recovered within a week or so and then no more serious aggression and the Naso I already mentioned. Other then that, I want to say I had at different times a purple and a powdered brown but those 2 are going back a long time when the Chevron was still small.

If I add want to add an achilles, do you think I should add it together with the Chevron?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your biggest challenge will likely be the desjardin protecting territory. Good luck.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I add want to add an achilles, do you think I should add it together with the Chevron?

I don't think it will matter, but Achillies should be last. No matter what they will likely give you trouble as they are super aggressive, but super rewarding. As I said mine really beat the Chevron down but they were fine after that.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will matter, but Achillies should be last. No matter what they will likely give you trouble as they are super aggressive, but super rewarding. As I said mine really beat the Chevron down but they were fine after that.

Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we currently have 3. Looking to add 4 more maybe. Not sure yet.

Sorry, hit send too fast. We have three wrasse’s, 4 scooter dragonets, 2 mandarins, two yellow watchman gobies, 2 black ice clownfish and 3 borbonius Anthias.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do it unless you want a dead Chevron Tang. Chevron should have been one of your first Tangs in the system. They are wimps comparative to the other Tangs.

Just made this suggestion to someone else. If you really want the Chevron, you can try to add it to the tank with a mirror on the front of the tank. Aggressive fish will leave it alone as long as the mirror is on the tank. That should give it a fighters chance of survival.

The sailfin will likely be your problem here, but also would count out the yellow tang either. Chevron Tangs usually are introduced into system much smaller than other Tangs because of their size. If you do not care about the colors, you can get a bigger one and that will help out for sure.

Also, I'd suggest if you are going to add more Tangs, add more than one. It'll help spread aggression as well.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do it unless you want a dead Chevron Tang. Chevron should have been one of your first Tangs in the system. They are wimps comparative to the other Tangs.

Just made this suggestion to someone else. If you really want the Chevron, you can try to add it to the tank with a mirror on the front of the tank. Aggressive fish will leave it alone as long as the mirror is on the tank. That should give it a fighters chance of survival.

The sailfin will likely be your problem here, but also would count out the yellow tang either. Chevron Tangs usually are introduced into system much smaller than other Tangs because of their size. If you do not care about the colors, you can get a bigger one and that will help out for sure.

Also, I'd suggest if you are going to add more Tangs, add more than one. It'll help spread aggression as well.

We don't have a yellow tang currently. Just a yellow belly blue, sailfin & tomini. I may add the Chevron and Achilles together. They're both smaller than the tangs in the tank. I have mirrors at the ready and I think I'll add them in the middle of the night when the other fish have gone sleepy time.

Also, would have loved to add Chevron first, but they have been few and far between since Covid hit.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have a yellow tang currently. Just a yellow belly blue, sailfin & tomini. I may add the Chevron and Achilles together. They're both smaller than the tangs in the tank. I have mirrors at the ready and I think I'll add them in the middle of the night when the other fish have gone sleepy time.

Also, would have loved to add Chevron first, but they have been few and far between since Covid hit.

I’d say pull the trigger and add any other tangs you think you want at the same time. That way you’re done with tangs and their pecking order.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree mirror and adding after they’ve been asleep for a while is the right way to go. My suggestion however is you stop after the chevron. The Achilles is a beautiful fish but it is very aggressive towards i other tangs and is also an ich magnet with relatively low survivability rate. A 220 may seem large but the 4 tangs you have chosen will grow rather large and need allot of room to swim. You certainly can add other fish that will keep the beautiful diversity you have going. I’m just afraid the Achilles will be that one tang that puts the aggression and stocking level over the top. If you must, add a nice medium size angel like flagfin or scribble. Whatever you decide I do wish you good luck!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that the sailfin is most likely to be the aggressor .... hippo and tomini will likely leave the chevie alone. Sailfin might too .... hard to know for sure though. I’ve not personally found the chevie to be that wimpy. Added mine to a 265 with resident yellow, purple and sailfin and it got left alone. Chevie is now pushing 8” and takes no guff from any of the other fish.

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you add the chevron? How did it go?

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Passed on the chevron. Got a gem instead. Went great adding the gem to the tank. Added at night.

Love My Gem! Enjoy!

Attachments

• 731BF8B1-6049-45D2-B408-F9CF936D9627.jpeg
    731BF8B1-6049-45D2-B408-F9CF936D9627.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 29

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back