Adding copepods and chaeto

mare021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new in reefing and recently started 50g tank cycling. Also I have active quarantine tank with two clownfish.
I am planing to get copepods and chaeto and add them to qt tank after moving fishes to the display tank.
My problem is that pest free copepods and chaeto are not available in my country. Chemical tretment products are also barely available. I'm mostly afraid of aiptasia and worms. What is the best way to use active qt tank to clean copepods and chaeto? I was thinking about single string chaeto treated in cold ro/di water for couple of hours, and get copepods from dry rock putted in esublished tank for couple of days. Is it good or there are better ideas?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your trying to seed your quarantine tank.or display? Ime it is easiest to find some clean chaeto from a LFS or local reefer and it will bring plenty of pods with it

OP
OP
M

mare021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to seed qt tank, and if there is no pests in there, seed display. I can get from local reefers, but all of them have some kind of pests. LFS are even more unsafe regarding pests.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new in reefing and recently started 50g tank cycling. Also I have active quarantine tank with two clownfish.
I am planing to get copepods and chaeto and add them to qt tank after moving fishes to the display tank.
My problem is that pest free copepods and chaeto are not available in my country. Chemical tretment products are also barely available. I'm mostly afraid of aiptasia and worms. What is the best way to use active qt tank to clean copepods and chaeto? I was thinking about single string chaeto treated in cold ro/di water for couple of hours, and get copepods from dry rock putted in esublished tank for couple of days. Is it good or there are better ideas?
Which worms are you afraid of? What about a fish that will eat them? You will likely get as many other creatures as pods in cultured rock like you were saying. but that may not be a terrible thing for the tank either.
In my experience, Aiptasia is fairly easy to control if caught early. Tagging one with lemon juice is the first time I felt like a "real reefer" whatever that means.
Algae Barn is a good source for clean chaeto. What pests are you worried about?
Not sure Algae Barn would ship to Serbia, but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
M

mare021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beside custom impediments, they wouldn't survive shipping. No one succesffully imported that I know.

OP
OP
M

mare021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which worms are you afraid of? What about a fish that will eat them? You will likely get as many other creatures as pods in cultured rock like you were saying. but that may not be a terrible thing for the tank either.
In my experience, Aiptasia is fairly easy to control if caught early. Tagging one with lemon juice is the first time I felt like a "real reefer" whatever that means.

Not sure Algae Barn would ship to Serbia, but I could be wrong.
I'm not sure what I may expect, but probably flatwarms, brislewarms etc.. Some fishes are not easy to find too.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beside custom impediments, they wouldn't survive shipping. No one succesffully imported that I know.
Didn't even think about customs. Maybe go on holiday somewhere with good cultures and bring it back in a small bottle. You can become the clean culture Barron of the Balkans.
I'm not sure what I may expect, but probably flatwarms, brislewarms etc.. Some fishes are not easy to find too.
What do other locals do for them?

OP
OP
M

mare021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't even think about customs. Maybe go on holiday somewhere with good cultures and bring it back in a small bottle. You can become the clean culture Barron of the Balkans.

What do other locals do for them?
Trying to keep under control with fish and invertables. Most of people I know lost hope of keeping pest free aquarium. They said it's worthless trying to avoid pests, it's imposible to avoid them. I just thought to give it a try and do best I can. But since I don't have any experience, ask for advice from you experienced reefers.

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed opinions about bristle worms. They are really only a pest if you don't want them. Decide they are part of the cleanup crew and they'll be great. Flatworms can be dipped against. There is probably something out there you have access to. Maybe a freshwater dip and qt for livestock that would bring them in. You may be able to filter for pods. They're pretty small.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purposely added bristle worms to my reef. Good at cleaning detritus in the cracks.

OP
OP
M

mare021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed opinions about bristle worms. They are really only a pest if you don't want them. Decide they are part of the cleanup crew and they'll be great. Flatworms can be dipped against. There is probably something out there you have access to. Maybe a freshwater dip and qt for livestock that would bring them in. You may be able to filter for pods. They're pretty small.
How to filter pods? Any tips? Friend can syphon them from the bottom of the sump.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to filter pods? Any tips? Friend can syphon them from the bottom of the sump.
I'm making this up from here but you could get increasingly fine screens till you're about to pod sized. They are different sizes so find out what you want. Tbh probably more work than it's worth at that point.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how copepods would have flatworms or worms in them . I've honestly never heard or seen that and I've been doing this for a while now .

Back