Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i have a 3 week old tank that is almost done with a algae bloom. I did a 5 day blackout, which helped a lot. Can I add corals, even while there is quite a bit of algae left?

My parameters are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
SG - 1.025
pH - 8.4

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will say you could attempt some easy level corals, I would personally wait. Patience is the numero uno thing in this hobby. Your algae blooms are nowhere near done at the 3 week mark. You may be battling off some diatoms, but without enough bacterial diversity you well for certain encounter another type of algae as soon as you have an excess of nutrients.
That being said, some hardy GSP or Xenia (both despised by many) would likely live through rhose conditions.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will say you could attempt some easy level corals, I would personally wait. Patience is the numero uno thing in this hobby. Your algae blooms are nowhere near done at the 3 week mark. You may be battling off some diatoms, but without enough bacterial diversity you well for certain encounter another type of algae as soon as you have an excess of nutrients.
That being said, some hardy GSP or Xenia (both despised by many) would likely live through rhose conditions.
Ok

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious as to what @brandon429 has to say. I know his stance on adding fish at this point, not sure on coral. But I am sure the cycle method will need to be mentioned.
I switched tanks and in the first month added multiple toches, duncans, and hammers and an anemone. I even had a diatom bloom so bad I had to start dosing nitrates, and changing my filter 3x a week. The reality is this: if you're actively testing, and prepared to catch the problems as they're thrown at you go for it. If you have the lighting, the test kits, and the endurance you can do whatever you want. Don't let these guys let perfect be the enemy of good. No one ever won tank of the month without making a couple mistakes along the way.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sensitive species need to be kept away from, acropora, probably most sps.
Mushrooms and paly/zoas. Those wouldn't be hard to watch and care for in a tank with live rock. High nitrates and phosphates will nuke them though. Candy cane is an easy to care for lps.
Don't get lps if you have GHA issue, take care of any algae problems first. Algae will often times grow on corals and kill them.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but ONLY softies. I would only recommend maybe a cheap paly or two, or possibly a zoa.

I added my first paly to the tank at 2 weeks and then added my first ricordea at 3 weeks.

It is possible, you just have to constant battle the algae to keep parameter in check.

View Badges
Patience is Key to a tank that will Last years and keep healthy corals healthy put a few fish in there and feed them at least 3 to 4 times a day need there poop make them poop,wait a few months more then you will be ready for any LPS coral and anemones.No SPS acros not ready yet for them.must have patience...

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do I put this, experience is gold. Nothing speaks more than experience itself.
Live - learn - don't get lazy. That's where the biggest issues happen.
When many people start their saltwater tanks. Algae blooms strike.... They get lazy cleaning things up. Algae covers corals and starts killing them. Oxygen gets depleted. Food source and oxygen is taken by algae.
If you can handle yourself and keep things under control... Even a hammer coral or frogspawn would be safe.
Most coral deaths are because of bad husbandry. Second, shipping stress. 3rd injured coral to begin with (disease prone).
Senstive life forms do not like parameter swings. As the aquarium ages and the more you do what's needed to keep things stable, keeping up with water changes, taking care of algae blooms. This all falls on the person.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I put this, experience is gold. Nothing speaks more than experience itself.
Live - learn - don't get lazy. That's where the biggest issues happen.
When many people start their saltwater tanks. Algae blooms strike.... They get lazy cleaning things up. Algae covers corals and starts killing them. Oxygen gets depleted. Food source and oxygen is taken by algae.
If you can handle yourself and keep things under control... Even a hammer coral or frogspawn would be safe.
Most coral deaths are because of bad husbandry. Second, shipping stress. 3rd injured coral to begin with (disease prone).
Senstive life forms do not like parameter swings. As the aquarium ages and the more you do what's needed to keep things stable, keeping up with water changes, taking care of algae blooms. This all falls on the person.
Couldn't agree more.

I've put SPS in at 3 weeks, but I have years of experience to help guide me. Keeping on top of your husbandry is paramount. This doesn't mean your tank has to be 100% sterile clean, but keep the algae at bay, and stay on top of your parameters.

I was once told a long time ago, "think of the hobby as being a water keeper, and not a fish/coral keeper and things will fall in line". No truer words have ever been spoken.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was once told a long time ago, "think of the hobby as being a water keeper, and not a fish/coral keeper and things will fall in line". No truer words have ever been spoken.
And that's exactly true. I'll leave it up to op to challenge and test himself.

No matter how old our systems are. Things can just die and we never understand why.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every aquarium is different.
I would add GSP for a coral.
I would recommend adding a tough fish, damsel or clown, once you have sable parameters.
Know that you will encounter issues and that you will be adjusting to establish an acceptable equilibrium for you.
I would recommend testing for everything so you you can tune into your set up.
You need to raise your nitrate. Also, what is your phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium?
You want to start getting a baseline especially for calcium and alkalinity. and then phosphate, nitrate, and magnesium.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back