Adding Dr. Tim's when halfway through a fishless cycle?

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I was 2 weeks deep into my fishless cycle where I was dosing household ammonia every day. Around the time I got my first NITRITE readings, I decided I wanted this process to go by faster so I dosed a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only. Will that halt/reset my already occurring cycle in any way?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I was 2 weeks deep into my fishless cycle where I was dosing household ammonia every day. Around the time I got my first NITRITE readings, I decided I wanted this process to go by faster so I dosed a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only. Will that halt/reset my already occurring cycle in any way?
As per others, it likely won't harm anything.

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question..I know this is too late as I already added Dr. Tims to my cycling tank.

Could I have added water from my koi pond in lieu of marine bacteria? It's been up and running for years. Or is freshwater bacteria different from marine bacteria? I know, dumb question but I'm just starting out.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has taken time to chart that for marine tank cycling

but there's one neat hint at wal mart at least: tetra brand nitrifying bacteria. handles both fw and sw out of the same bottle

yes there are different species that handle it separately

but that's not to the exclusion of shared species per tetra at least.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the food you add will even things out

even if you dose the wrong bacteria for the salinity, adding two pinches of ground up flake feed is going to get any tank cycled in ~15 days even if the bottle bac isn't added at all, we have cycling threads covering this form of feed only, no bottle bac cycle.

so whatever bac is chosen, whether from a pond or from biospira marine cycling bac, adding two pinches of flake food and waiting fourteen days isn't going to matter they're all cycled for basic filtration control by then.

nobody needs to factor nitrite levels in marine cycling, things have changed in cycling science and we no longer need to know nitrite levels to cycle reef tanks, its a neutral parameter even if if the system has positive levels. ammonia control is all that matters, and in a fed cycle the common ammonia line from a cycle chart applies: a little over ten days they all say.

DebraLV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has taken time to chart that for marine tank cycling

but there's one neat hint at wal mart at least: tetra brand nitrifying bacteria. handles both fw and sw out of the same bottle

yes there are different species that handle it separately

but that's not to the exclusion of shared species per tetra at least.
Good to know, rather be safe then sorry. I guess it was worth the 13.00 purchase.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back