Adding female red velvet wrasse

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience or know the best way to add a female red velvet wrasse to a 150g that has a male red velvet wrasse?

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a female velvet, mccoskers, and pink margin to my 240g cube. I had males of all three, plus a male whipfin, Scott's, and a pair of yellow coris wrasse. I put all three females in a acclimation box for a day, watched for any aggression, of which there was none, and let them go the next morning before the lights came on. It's been a week now and they're all doing great. The pink margin pair now never leave each others' side, and I've witnessed a lot more flashing from all the males with the addition of these females.

Do you have other wrasses in the tank?

OP
OP
RJT

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responding. Tank is kinda empty, trying to get the right balance. Right now only two female leopard wrasses, golden eel and the red velvet.

How long has the male red velvet been in there?

illcssd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male velvet has been in about 3-4 months.

I'd put her in an acclimation box for a day to watch for any aggression from the leopards or male, then let her go.

chris13115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no luck with pairing fish from before (unless adding at the same time), I would watch for aggression, switch around all the decorations for territories, and see how they do. Best of Luck!

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a female velvet, mccoskers, and pink margin to my 240g cube. I had males of all three, plus a male whipfin, Scott's, and a pair of yellow coris wrasse. I put all three females in a acclimation box for a day, watched for any aggression, of which there was none, and let them go the next morning before the lights came on. It's been a week now and they're all doing great. The pink margin pair now never leave each others' side, and I've witnessed a lot more flashing from all the males with the addition of these females.

Do you have other wrasses in the tank?

Good advice here. An acclimation box is the best way to introduce new fish. We also keep many species of wrasses in our DT. Depending on the reception our new acquisitions receive, we will leave them in the acclimation box anywhere from 1 day up to a week.

-M&T

OP
OP
RJT

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I will update thread once I get her.

chris13115 what fish have you tried to pair?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a side topic here, but please note wrasses do not "pair" or have a bonded relationship (like clowns do). The male/female hierarchy of wrasses is formed just like that of anthias, via dominance and submissive interaction.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male/female hierarchy of wrasses is formed just like that of anthias, via dominance and submissive interaction.

Thats how my wife got me too.

OP
OP
RJT

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They worked out fine. Male couldn't care less about the female addition. I put here in an acclimation box, he looked at and kept doing what he was doing. Released her last night and he is still doesn't acknowledge her.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back