Adding fish to Copper power for ich

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so I have decided to treat my fish with copperpower as the reef medic hasn't worked for me.

I will use my sump (it's a red sea 350) as the QT tank and run my DT fallow with a canister.

Is it safe to add my fish (check below fish list) directly to 2ppm (or even 2.5ppm directly!) copper and later bring to 2.5pmm within next 24 hours? As I would like to act fast.

Fish list = 2 baby clownfish about 1-1.5 inch, 1 hipo tang 2 inch, scopas tang 2inch, Niger trigger 2-3in, fairy wrasse and cleaner wrasse.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so I have decided to treat my fish with copperpower as the reef medic hasn't worked for me.

I will use my sump (it's a red sea 350) as the QT tank and run my DT fallow with a canister.

Is it safe to add my fish (check below fish list) directly to 2ppm (or even 2.5ppm directly!) copper and later bring to 2.5pmm within next 24 hours? As I would like to act fast.

Fish list = 2 baby clownfish about 1-1.5 inch, 1 hipo tang 2 inch, scopas tang 2inch, Niger trigger 2-3in, fairy wrasse and cleaner wrasse.
It’s probably ok. Wrasses might be more sensitive. Just watch how they are behaving and feeding. If signs of distress then lower levels

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adding them to that level of copper and then raising it would be fine. However, I can't say if your sump is going to be a suitable holding system for the fallow period - how long do you intend to run fallow?

Jay

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so I had my blue tang, Niger trigger, 1 clown and fairy wrasse dead today. It's really sadenning thing...

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry that happened. there is probably something else wrong for them all to die in one day, either pest (possible brook) or parameter wise. Probably easier to treat them all in a 20 gallon petco tank for $20 and let the tank go fallow for a while, more trouble than it is worth trying to use a sump as a qt imo

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, so I had my blue tang, Niger trigger, 1 clown and fairy wrasse dead today. It's really sadenning thing...
I’m sorry! That is sad!

I will tell you that for a trigger and clown to die it has to be something really serious. Those guys are profoundly hardy.

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know. But trigger stopped eating yesterday and is dying now (pretty much dead).

Anyway I started treating my scopas, cleaner wrasse, and the remaining 1 clown in the sump. My sump is pretty much an empty tank (no skimmer or refugium yet) so not really an hassle to use it as a Qt as in pic below.

IMG_20211122_102610.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any water movement other than the airstone? It looks close to the surface and not like it is doing to much water agitation, they may have died from O2 depletion.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also make sure you wash that whole sump in vinegar or something to get rid of all the leftover copper residue and throw out any silicon tubing and rocks you used during the treatment.

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any water movement other than the airstone? It looks close to the surface and not like it is doing to much water agitation, they may have died from O2 depletion.
Yeah I added a smaller pump in place of the return pump, pic below.
IMG_20211122_115900.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear!
By looking at the timeline, less than 8 hours after adding them to the sump? Something must have gone wrong. Were they really ill with ich?
Jay

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear!
By looking at the timeline, less than 8 hours after adding them to the sump? Something must have gone wrong. Were they really ill with ich?
Jay
No when I was adding them to the sump (today morning) they were already dying. When I was creating this post (yesterday night) they were in the DT.

They had white spots in the body but blue tang was still eating frozen brine shrimp yesterday. Niger trigger wasn't eating yesterday and fairy wrasse had a declining apetitie as well.

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attaching this video that I took yesterday when all were in the DT. You can see the white spots in it.

Attachments

• VID_20211121_175517.mp4
    47.8 MB

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like it might be velvet, not positive though fish are moving pretty fast in the video

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks like it might be velvet, not positive though fish are moving pretty fast in the video
I thought of that too but if it's velvet they won't eat? Blue tang was eating fine yesterday, I guess maybe an advanced case of ich. I only saw a small no of spots at the beginning. I dont know.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back