Adding fish to saltwater tank

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, apologies as this probably gets asked frequently!

Hi all I am new here and am currently cycling my first ever reef tank! Although I am obviously not ready to add fish yet, I am hoping to initially add two clowns when my tank is cycled and ready for fish.
The thing is, I have no clue what is the best way to add my fish safely! I have not got a second tank set up that is suitable for quarantining my new fish - is this necessary for me to buy?

If someone wouldn't mind talking me through the rough process of adding my first fish I would be extremely grateful!
Thanks in advance

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upvote 1

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where you get your fish, they may already come quarantined or a quarantine service may be available. If you’re purchasing locally check with your LFS. In terms of adding them safely, I usually float the bag for 35-40 minutes to temperature acclimate then use something like the IM AccuDrip for 20-30 minutes.

While I probably could do my own quarantine, for the time and effort involved, it’s cheaper and easier (for me anyway) to have my LFS do it (especially since they guarantee a healthy fish or no charge).

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on where you get your fish, they may already come quarantined or a quarantine service may be available. If you’re purchasing locally check with your LFS. In terms of adding them safely, I usually float the bag for 35-40 minutes to temperature acclimate then use something like the IM AccuDrip for 20-30 minutes.

While I probably could do my own quarantine, for the time and effort involved, it’s cheaper and easier (for me anyway) to have my LFS do it (especially since they guarantee a healthy fish or no charge).
Okay perfect, I will check with my LFS and buy an AccuDrip! (glad it seems to be cheap unlike everything else in this hobby..)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Reef_Frank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will look through this, merci!

Upvote 0

Sunny in Miami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I do it is I float the bags for about 5 to 10 minutes then I open the bags and fold them down in such a way as to make them float but I also toe them down with a magnetic seaweed clip. There after I start to add a very small amount of water to the bag every 5 minutes for about a half hour. I then take the fish out with a net and place into aquarium. This method has always worked for me. The only time I ever go for 1 hour is only for snails or skunk shrimp. They tend to be more sensitive to changes in water parameters.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I do it is I float the bags for about 5 to 10 minutes then I open the bags and fold them down in such a way as to make them float but I also toe them down with a magnetic seaweed clip. There after I start to add a very small amount of water to the bag every 5 minutes for about a half hour. I then take the fish out with a net and place into aquarium. This method has always worked for me. The only time I ever go for 1 hour is only for snails or skunk shrimp. They tend to be more sensitive to changes in water parameters.
I’m sure that would also work. I’m just too inherently lazy to do it that way, lol.

Upvote 0

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, apologies as this probably gets asked frequently!

Hi all I am new here and am currently cycling my first ever reef tank! Although I am obviously not ready to add fish yet, I am hoping to initially add two clowns when my tank is cycled and ready for fish.
The thing is, I have no clue what is the best way to add my fish safely! I have not got a second tank set up that is suitable for quarantining my new fish - is this necessary for me to buy?

If someone wouldn't mind talking me through the rough process of adding my first fish I would be extremely grateful!
Thanks in advance

there are some diseases, uronema being one, that never leave once their in your tank. They affect chromis, damsel, and I believe clownfish. So it’s best to quarantine or find a retailer that quarantines for you. Not all diseases have a fallow period. Call around- my local fish store keeps their fish in copper and quarantines new arrivals. There are also online reputable retailers that do as well.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back