adding fish

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,

I have a 8 month old 50 gal RS170 mixed reef, with 2 clowns, 1 diamond goby, 1 royal gramma, and 1 bicolor blenny.
I'd like to add 1-2 more fish.
I understand adding two more clowns a bad idea since they may not get along with my current clowns.

I ideas for additions that would fit my size tank, and get along with existing fish? Thanks !

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ideas are a dwarf angel, firefish, chromis, damsel (the more peaceful types), shrimp-goby pair, the smaller filefish, or hawkfish.
All will get along with the current stocking, but the angel and filefish may nip at corals.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefer 170 (or older RSM 170) has 34g in the display and a two-foot footprint; that's not a lot of real estate for active fish. The only dwarf angels that I would consider putting into that are, perhaps, a coral beauty or a flameback angel -- but you should have a backup plan in case there's fighting. All other centropyge species (including, I think, the cherub) really need a three-foot tank at a minimum.

You don't have any bottom-dwelling species. The pygmy geometric perchlet (hawkfish) is very peaceful, but also tends to be cryptic. Molly miller blennies roam all over the place, but are very personable (if kind of drab). Pygmy whitespotted filefish are much nicer to have around than matted filefish, which are a real risk to coral.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefer 170 (or older RSM 170) has 34g in the display and a two-foot footprint; that's not a lot of real estate for active fish. The only dwarf angels that I would consider putting into that are, perhaps, a coral beauty or a flameback angel -- but you should have a backup plan in case there's fighting. All other centropyge species (including, I think, the cherub) really need a three-foot tank at a minimum.

You don't have any bottom-dwelling species. The pygmy geometric perchlet (hawkfish) is very peaceful, but also tends to be cryptic. Molly miller blennies roam all over the place, but are very personable (if kind of drab). Pygmy whitespotted filefish are much nicer to have around than matted filefish, which are a real risk to coral.
Ah, I was picturing something closer to a 55 gallon footprint. Only 34 gallons of usable space certainly changes things.

OP
OP
D

DS5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thx for the info -- my diamond goby is ground dwelling, not sure if that changes your recs

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx for the info -- my diamond goby is ground dwelling, not sure if that changes your recs
Ah, missed that. I don't think that the pygmy geometric hawkfish is going to compete too much with it, as the hawkfish (perchlet) tends to hide inside rockwork. It's really most active at night, though, so you might not see much of it during the day.

If you can find one, my number one choice for you would still be the pygmy filefish. Since you can't have a trigger in your tank, the filefish is the closest you can get to its profile and locomotion. Molly miller blennies are a great utility fish, but they can be quite rambunctious.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back