Adding Juvenile Achilles and Juvenile Emperor Angel

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I have a dilemma I'm not sure what's the best course of action. I have a 300g with 5 tangs (blonde naso male, white tail bristle tooth, fowleri, blue hippo, and powder blue tang juvenile). 4 out of 5 are peaceful. I have 2 dwarf angels bi-color and flame. It turns out the flame angel and the juvenile powder blue tang are the 2 most aggressive fish in the tank. The flame bullied and beat up my coral beauty that I added last week so badly he suffered a humongous pop eye like I've never seen before. The coral beauty is now in my sump as I'm trying to help him recover. The powder blue also bullied the coral beauty. The flame and PBT would even flare up against one another every once in awhile. The pbt even tries to fight my hippo who is twice its size. I have a juvenile achilles and juvie emperor angel currently in Qurantine and I'm afraid for their safety. Achilles is about the same size as the pbt but the emperor is smaller than the flame angel. I bought 2 Tupperware containers that are bigger than any acclimation box I can find. Should I put the new additions in the Tupperwares? Capture the flame and PBT and put those 2 bullies in their own Tupperwares while the new additions explore and get used to their new home? Or turn off the lights and add them in and hope for the best??!! Your advice is much appreciated!!

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a flame, and have heard horror stories about the PBT. My.flame was a complete jackhole to EVERYTHING, regardless of species. If your wish is to house the Emperor, the flame will need a new home. About the only I see a slim chance of success is if you were to take the flame and sump him for a while, redo the rock work, intro the emperor for a week or so, then reintroduce the flame. Since he's already shown his true colors, though, I don't have a lot of confidence that it will work long term.

As for the tangs, they're both Acanthurus family members...and both technically powders at that. The PBT has a more notorious reputation for being a jerk, but I've heard the Achilles is no slouch either...though I think he's likely to get clobbered by your PBT, the way things sound. Cohabitation success with the two of them doesn't sound likely.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a juvi Acanthurus tang to a tank that is already "ruled" by a mature one is going to cause issues no doubt, if you do decide to do it, make sure that achilies is healthy as an ox before it leaves quarantine, also add the Angel to the display at the same time as the Achilles, cross your fingers.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had great success with using mirrors around the tank when introducing new fish. The aggressive fish end up being so upset at their own reflection that they leave the new addition alone. I’m my situation I left the mirrors on for 3 days. After that there was minimal fighting.

OP
OP
Squidward

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have good news and bad news unfortunately. Bad news is my juvenile emperor and a cleaner wrasse mysteriously died in qurantine. Bummed out but got him for only $50 at the lfs. I released my Achilles into the main display inside a acclimation box made from a tupperware. It was 16" long bigger than any official acclimation box I can find for sale. He was in there for 2 hours and constantly pacing back and forth. I felt sorry for the small space. So I released him to the hounds. And as soon as he got with the crowd of the tangs, the bully powder blue went at him instantly chasing, flashing him all around the tank. And the sidekick bully flame angel also joined in here and there. The good news is my Achilles held his ground and half hour later the bullying and chasing subsided. He let both the powder blue and flame angel know that he means business and he's not taking none of their crap. He was determined to be the new Sheriff in town. He even flares up against my much bigger Fowleri tang. I'm excited to see him grow, thrive, and become the King of the Tank!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back