Adding Live Rock/Sand to a Cycling Tank

KeMiKiLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

Day 3 of cycling my Biocube 32 and I keep coming back to a thought while watching videos and reading threads - maybe I should have used live rock/substrate.

Not only because it speeds up the cycling process but, more importantly, to add the biodiversity that really makes a tank thrive. Many of those threads/videos mention how the first year to 18 months was full of struggles, or their tank just didn't really look great until then. I think this is because the biodiversity just isn't there yet.

I've put in the Turbostart 900 and Ammonium Chloride. Can I add a small piece of live rock and a few pounds of established coarse Aragonite? There is no coral or fish in the tank, and there won't be until the cycle is complete but I think it would be great if everything else is "in there" when I put in the first coral/fish. I like how my scaping is right now so the live rock will sit in there for a few weeks, or however long, just to populate the tank and then I'll relocate it to my premix bin.

I'm also planning on adding the refugium chamber and some chaeto for the macroalgae and pods. I'll also add some phytoplankton.

Are there any issues you might see arising from this? I know that there is the chance of introducing some undesirables but I'm sure that I can deal with those during the cycle and it might be good to practice addressing them while there is minimal risk (no fish or coral to affect).

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes you can do that, see our builds of whole reefs using skip cycle rock

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

Day 3 of cycling my Biocube 32 and I keep coming back to a thought while watching videos and reading threads - maybe I should have used live rock/substrate.

Not only because it speeds up the cycling process but, more importantly, to add the biodiversity that really makes a tank thrive. Many of those threads/videos mention how the first year to 18 months was full of struggles, or their tank just didn't really look great until then. I think this is because the biodiversity just isn't there yet.

I've put in the Turbostart 900 and Ammonium Chloride. Can I add a small piece of live rock and a few pounds of established coarse Aragonite? There is no coral or fish in the tank, and there won't be until the cycle is complete but I think it would be great if everything else is "in there" when I put in the first coral/fish. I like how my scaping is right now so the live rock will sit in there for a few weeks, or however long, just to populate the tank and then I'll relocate it to my premix bin.

I'm also planning on adding the refugium chamber and some chaeto for the macroalgae and pods. I'll also add some phytoplankton.

Are there any issues you might see arising from this? I know that there is the chance of introducing some undesirables but I'm sure that I can deal with those during the cycle and it might be good to practice addressing them while there is minimal risk (no fish or coral to affect).

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
Aside from what you mentioned (maybe adding undesirables), there are no real issues with adding live rock or sand during a cycle.

Maybe there might be some die-offs that makes it harder to 'track' the cycle if you are tracking the parameters, but yeah that is not exactly a problem.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back