Adding Live Rock

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adding live rock to an established tank is typically ok unless it has dead/decaying matter in it. Most people would recommend making sure that the rock is not going to have an ammonia spike in your tank. You can always do a water change and add the new rock to in a bucket or tub with the water from the change. Watch it for a couple of days or a week and make sure no ammonia or nitrite show up. If they do, change the water every couple of days as the nutrients rise and then when the nitrates are steady and no more ammonia or nitrite shows up you're good to add it.

OP
OP
Kathy Floyd

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding live rock to an established tank is typically ok unless it has dead/decaying matter in it. Most people would recommend making sure that the rock is not going to have an ammonia spike in your tank. You can always do a water change and add the new rock to in a bucket or tub with the water from the change. Watch it for a couple of days or a week and make sure no ammonia or nitrite show up. If they do, change the water every couple of days as the nutrients rise and then when the nitrates are steady and no more ammonia or nitrite shows up you're good to add it.
Thank you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back