Adding Livestock after Cycle

RoryJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about to start the cycling process, I know its going to take some time, so i am curious on everyone's take on adding livestock afterwards. Its a 110 high and starting out as a FOWLR, with hopes to add corals and such afterwards if everything goes well. What would be good community fish to start with and can i also add invertebrates? Anything else i can add initially that would help out the tank?..cleaners and such?..Thanks for your input

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my timeline after I started my cycle:

2 weeks: snails and hermit crabs (I had to feed them bc of how new the tank was)

1 month: first fish (2 clowns)

4 months: first corals (mostly soft coral and a few lps)

6 months: first anemone (it died)

8 months: more challenging coral (scoly and meat coral) and first starfish (2 sand sifters)

1 year: second attempt and anemone (it has since split and is doing great)

15 months: serpent stars and brittle star (I could have added this earlier) high end coral (jawbreakers, and high end zoas)

Keep in mind this isn't set guidelines you should follow but it's what I did with good success, except for the first anemone. I added him too early for sure

mwsumner1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in two hermits two and a half weeks after starting the cycle then added a blue damsel a week later but it died because it was to soon. So I waited almost a month longer and then added four snails to control the algae then added two clown fish and waiting a while after that not sure of the time but then added a yellow tang to the tank. The tank is awesome now and thriving. Just take your time because you will end up killing the fish if it is to quick like the damsel I out in he didn't even last a full 24 hours.

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the snails and hermits 2 weeks after starting cycle, all the time periods I listed were from the cycle starting time not the ending time

OP
OP
RoryJ

RoryJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my timeline after I started my cycle:

2 weeks: snails and hermit crabs (I had to feed them bc of how new the tank was)

1 month: first fish (2 clowns)

4 months: first corals (mostly soft coral and a few lps)

6 months: first anemone (it died)

8 months: more challenging coral (scoly and meat coral) and first starfish (2 sand sifters)

1 year: second attempt and anemone (it has since split and is doing great)

15 months: serpent stars and brittle star (I could have added this earlier) high end coral (jawbreakers, and high end zoas)

Keep in mind this isn't set guidelines you should follow but it's what I did with good success, except for the first anemone. I added him too early for sure
What would be a good amount of snails and crabs to add for my 110?

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1666.JPG I have 10 snails and 5 hermits in my 150 but you can add as many as 20 of each and be fine. I like to keep my nitrates a little higher around 15 ppm for some of my harder to care for Lps. I don't have a shot of my tank under whites but here is what it looks like under blues.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back