adding more fish

hannahrlynch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there i’m new to the hobby & i have some questions, but first i have a 24 gal nano cube set up for about two months which is home to two ocellaris clowns, a black saddled puffer, a blue damselfish, an urchin, cuc (three nerite snails & three scarlet hermits) i also have some corals, kenya tree, xenia & two BTA.

so my question is , can i add anymore fish in my tank? i’m planing on adding more corals in the future for sure but would like another fish if possible.
i realize my tank is pretty small but even if i can’t get another fish i would really like to add some more cuc so any ideas of cuc would be great!! also any tips/suggestions to make the layout of my tank look nicer is very much welcomed

image.jpg

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there i’m new to the hobby & i have some questions, but first i have a 24 gal nano cube set up for about two months which is home to two ocellaris clowns, a black saddled puffer, a blue damselfish, an urchin, cuc (three nerite snails & three scarlet hermits) i also have some corals, kenya tree, xenia & two BTA.

so my question is , can i add anymore fish in my tank? i’m planing on adding more corals in the future for sure but would like another fish if possible.
i realize my tank is pretty small but even if i can’t get another fish i would really like to add some more cuc so any ideas of cuc would be great!! also any tips/suggestions to make the layout of my tank look nicer is very much welcomed

image.jpg
I believe your puffer will eat snails, maybe crabs and nip at corals. I don't think you should add anymore fish just yet, wait a little while.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your puffer?
The Saddle Valentini Puffer, also known as the Black Saddle Pufferfish, Blacksaddled Toby, Valentini Toby, or Saddled Toby. Members of the Canthigaster genus are called Sharp-nosed Puffers or Tobies. The Saddle Valentini Puffer is a bright and colorful fish with dark brown bands across the midsection, brownish-orange spotting on the lower half, yellow fins, and blue striping running along the back. It lacks pelvic fins, but has learned to use the pectoral fins to move about the aquarium.
A 30 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium is suitable. It may eat invertebrates found in a reef tank. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure.

Parts of its flesh are poisonous. It has the ability, when threatened or alarmed, to inflate its body to almost twice its normal size. It becomes alarmed when netted, therefore, use a container to transfer it.

The Saddle Valentini Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.

OP
OP
hannahrlynch

hannahrlynch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe your puffer will eat snails, maybe crabs and nip at corals. I don't think you should add anymore fish just yet, wait a little while.
yes i was warned about him & corals but he’s been so good i’ve had him for almost three weeks with no issues so that makes me pretty happy. i never knew about the snails or crabs though thankfully he hasn’t had any interest in my cuc either !

OP
OP
hannahrlynch

hannahrlynch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this your puffer?
The Saddle Valentini Puffer, also known as the Black Saddle Pufferfish, Blacksaddled Toby, Valentini Toby, or Saddled Toby. Members of the Canthigaster genus are called Sharp-nosed Puffers or Tobies. The Saddle Valentini Puffer is a bright and colorful fish with dark brown bands across the midsection, brownish-orange spotting on the lower half, yellow fins, and blue striping running along the back. It lacks pelvic fins, but has learned to use the pectoral fins to move about the aquarium.
A 30 gallon or larger, fish-only aquarium is suitable. It may eat invertebrates found in a reef tank. Its teeth are actually a fused beak-like structure.

Parts of its flesh are poisonous. It has the ability, when threatened or alarmed, to inflate its body to almost twice its normal size. It becomes alarmed when netted, therefore, use a container to transfer it.

The Saddle Valentini Puffer needs a varied diet of meaty foods including; squid, krill, clams, and hard shelled shrimp to help wear down their ever growing teeth.
yes that is him. my lfs knows my exact set up & said that i could try him in there even with my corals & it’s been almost three weeks & so far so good

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for fish your probably close to maxed out. Clownfish alone may cause issues with more. Maybe a goby or so but nothing big. Biggest thing is to keep the tank stress free.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back